ECHO Echo, Echo, Echo

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the 490 saw. It fits a price point. There are other saws same size such as Echo 501 and other brands that make a lot more power. If wanting an all metal case saw, the 490 and 590 are good price points out there. They don't necessarily crank out the power though as compared to others such as the 501 or 620. Not trying to sell the 4510, just pointing out that the power is more in line for 45cc compared to competing models. I would rather have the 490 with metal case and non-strato myself...just would be tinkering with it as know there is room for better performance. About the main thing with clamshell that like is the ease of teardown and replacing bearings and seals.

Wasn't looking to start wars on Echo saws. Just was glad to see the better power/cc ratio with that new model. Seems like Echo's build goal was always towards reliability and long work life vs performance and shorter work life. Try to get as many customers as I can to consider them versus a lot of the fix-or-repair-daily machines they use. I have a 1975 451VL that use regular. It just keeps a going and no problems. Got some others, just that one is my favorite. Actually grabbed the 451vl this Sunday to help out a johnny red that was stuck felling a white oak.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that stamped on the rim itself? I've never tried it with a chain, just got it out of curiosity. I'm not sure what bar I would use with it as I'm not aware of any 3/8' pitch K216 style bars.

Went to Rural King today to get some oil and looked around the Stihl section. I looked at the MS-251 and thought it was quite heavy and expensive for what it is. You can get an Echo 490 shipped right to your door for less. Honestly, I don't think the homeowner Stihl stuff is much of a bargain at all. Everything they had in that category caused me to think "Damn, Echo has them beat." Not trying to be a Stihl hater or anything, just the honest impression I got.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that stamped on the rim itself? I've never tried it with a chain, just got it out of curiosity. I'm not sure what bar I would use with it as I'm not aware of any 3/8' pitch K216 style bars.

Went to Rural King today to get some oil and looked around the Stihl section. I looked at the MS-251 and thought it was quite heavy and expensive for what it is. You can get an Echo 490 shipped right to your door for less. Honestly, I don't think the homeowner Stihl stuff is much of a bargain at all. Everything they had in that category caused me to think "Damn, Echo has them beat." Not trying to be a Stihl hater or anything, just the honest impression I got.

It's not hating if it's the truth.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think Dub11 is going to get the email notification this year from Stihl for x amount loyalty $ off on his next power equipment purchase....:)

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got told today that stihl owns husqvarna and echo lol. I just had to walk away. It was actually at a local hardware place that sells echo lol [emoji23] [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think Dub11 is going to get the email notification this year from Stihl for x amount loyalty $ off on his next power equipment purchase....:)

Ah chit now you tell me.

Got told today that stihl owns husqvarna and echo lol. I just had to walk away. It was actually at a local hardware place that sells echo lol [emoji23] [emoji23][emoji23]

He can you tell them I have a ski lodge for sale here in Kansas.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to the baby Echo 370 .This guy had it to two places and they couldn't get it to run correctly .One rouge flat land hill billy in Ohio got it .Popped the limiters off and opened it up a tad .Does okay for 36 cc's .Not an oak slayer by any means but I did run in through two 12 inch oak rounds and it did okay .
I think what happens is they just set the carbs where they think they should be which doesn't always work out well with limiters .They might all be sisters but they aren't twins .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now they say you aren't supposed to remove the limiters .So if the chainsaw police investigate I'll just plead the fifth as opposed to drinking a fifth . A couple shots for medicinal purposes perhaps .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now they say you aren't supposed to remove the limiters .So if the chainsaw police investigate I'll just plead the fifth as opposed to drinking a fifth . A couple shots for medicinal purposes perhaps .

If the chainsaw police come for me they better bring there A game and a back up plan.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it's so damned simple I can't understand why people want to read more into it .If it dies on a throttle up it doesn't have enough low speed .If it dies in the cut it doesn't have enough high speed .Takes all of two minutes to figure that out . It takes fuel to make power .
This guy probably bought it at Lowes,Home Depot,TSC or something .No support,some kid who made sure it started and called it good enough I suppose is the plan of the day .This BTW is the second Echo I've tinkered with in two months that had been looked at and they couldn't figure out .Are they all that damned dumb?

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a 352 for a while. I wanted something light to cut privet around my lake. I cut a ton of bushes and small sweet gums with it. Never had any trouble out of it but I sold it when it run out of bushes. My brother has a 310 and you could tell a noticeable difference in the two. I liked the little saw just got to where I didn't use it much.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone try archer pro bars before? Found one on eBay that will fit a 590 but advertises that it has a 72dl instead of the 70. It’s cheap with a chain thought about trying it one day because 72 dL chains are way easier to find around here than 70. Thought it would be a cheap way to use stihl chains since my stihl dealer no longer will turn chains for me.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My CS-400 is a very capable little saw, especially with a decent chain on it. The 18" bar it comes with is a little optimistic but it will pull it. I put a 16" on it with Carlton semi-chisel. My go to saw for anything 4-8", which is a large part of what I cut.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first couple years I cut wood for heat and was just a real rookie I had 1 saw, Echo 400. Cut 7-9 cords both years. The Echo warranty is a joke but I do love the saws. With minor mm and retune I think they are the best bang for the buck going.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the warranty has alot to do with the dealer. Luckily I have not needed the warranty, but our local dealer treats their customers right. My brother had a mower that Kawasaki didn't put the head gasket on. It blew oil immediately. Bobcat blamed it on Kawasaki, Kawasaki said they didn't care, so the dealer made it a demo and gave him a new mower. They aren't the best mechanics but they will try to make it right. Goes a long way over the box stores.