High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Dolmar PS-6100 in the house!

tomscott

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with upgrading my most used saw size. I'm just a firewood guy cutting about five cord a year. My PM-610 was bought new by my Dad in 1984 and has served me well for the last 15 years. For all the jokes about their weight and bulk, I have continued to like the saw even after getting a minty 046. The 046 is very nice, but it didn't make me suddenly hate my tried and true PM-610.

Lately the Mac has had fuel delivery issues. Rebuilt the carb last year and found some crud in the inlet screen. Likely that was the only problem and didn't need any of the rest of the kit, but I put it in anyway. Ran great again for awhile, and is acting up the same way again. I think maybe the original fuel filter is coming apart and clogging the inlet screen. So, I will get to fixing the Mac, but it just seemed an apt time to upgrade.

I appreciate all the information I initially found on AS and now on this site that helped me arrive at my choice. As a firewood guy a new saw will likely last the rest of my life, so I just didn't want an electronically controlled carb. That knocked out Stihl and Husky, leaving me to consider the Echo and Dolmar choices.

Based on all the different threads for both, I just came away liking the reports on the Dolmar more. I trusted what I was reading enough to just order one from @fordf150, sight unseen. I don't have a good Dolmar dealer presence here, and the one I have wouldn't answer the phone. Nate was fabulous to deal with and was a better price than any internet search I came up with!

So, pics before I ramble on anymore...
6100 package deal.JPG

And after using a bit...
6100 left side.JPG

tomscott

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've only had the saw a few weeks and haven't had much time to use it (still on my first tank of fuel), but I really like it so far. With limited time I have only been able to find some 10" diameter stuff, nothing to really tax it a bit and see how it feels with a pretty much buried bar. My PM-610 really did hold its own with a 20" bar, so I am hoping to be very impressed with the Dolmar!

Thanks again to the guys that have gone to the trouble to relate their experience with this saw! I will likewise report back when I get some more meaningful run time.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a saw I would like to try. Never seen one in person. Cant recall anything negative ever being said about the model (other than opinion). Only negative with Dolmar is the lack of local dealer support- but with @fordf150 around- not an issue.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell, that's a saw I'd like to mod! Great stock compression, separate reed valves from the intake duct to rework for more flow, the possibility of putting in a rear boost port to convert it to a 5-port. IMO that saw has more potential for modding than any other saw out there. It wouldn't surprise me if it could be made as strong as a good running 70cc saw.

Plus it is built well and has a great air filter - and you can put a 20" NK bar on it. If I didn't already own 3 saws, I'd get one just to see what I could do with it. Those saws (Makita) in Oz are over A$1,000, so I'm going to have to blow up a saw to justify to the wife that I really need another saw.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just purchased a very lightly used 6100 from a member here on the site. I had some 18"-19" oak ready to be cut, and the 6100 went through it like butter. I think you'll be very happy with it. Here's a photo of mine right after I received it.image.jpeg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Congrats on the new saw! Its been a good saw so far for me. I have put about 8 tanks through mine. I've done some felling bucking and even a little liming with it. It's definitely been stealing run time from my Echo 490 and 7910. I especially like the dual spikes that Nate sails for it.

One thing that I have noticed about it is the chain needs to be kept tight. Once it loosens the saw seems extra prone to throwing it. Maybe it's just my saw.

I recently ran it next to a echo 590 in the woods with @Red97 another quality saw in my book. I don't think you could have gone wrong with either saw.

tomscott

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. My memory is telling me that the common thought was that these saws in stock form don't really benefit from a muffler mod. That is a shame, because I will admit it doesn't sound as good as my Macs or my 046 with the baffle removed and a DP cover! But... I am a practical guy, not going to do a mod just to make it sound better.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The muffler has a cage in it that extends back into the cylinder. While just poking another hole in the muffler might not add anything much, splitting the muffler, removing that cage, and port matching the muffler to the cylinder is worth doing.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

@Woodpecker

Running trigger on his 6100

Very nice saws.

Congrats on the purchase

nnero

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Comgrats on your purchase! Nate is great to deal with. Definitely an underrated saw. We love ours. Let us know how u like those dual spikes. I added a 5100 clutch cover after the original got beat up. I like the chip deflector better
20150727_200836.jpg 20150727_200915.jpg

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been wrestling with upgrading my most used saw size. I'm just a firewood guy cutting about five cord a year. My PM-610 was bought new by my Dad in 1984 and has served me well for the last 15 years. For all the jokes about their weight and bulk, I have continued to like the saw even after getting a minty 046. The 046 is very nice, but it didn't make me suddenly hate my tried and true PM-610.

Lately the Mac has had fuel delivery issues. Rebuilt the carb last year and found some crud in the inlet screen. Likely that was the only problem and didn't need any of the rest of the kit, but I put it in anyway. Ran great again for awhile, and is acting up the same way again. I think maybe the original fuel filter is coming apart and clogging the inlet screen. So, I will get to fixing the Mac, but it just seemed an apt time to upgrade.

I appreciate all the information I initially found on AS and now on this site that helped me arrive at my choice. As a firewood guy a new saw will likely last the rest of my life, so I just didn't want an electronically controlled carb. That knocked out Stihl and Husky, leaving me to consider the Echo and Dolmar choices.

Based on all the different threads for both, I just came away liking the reports on the Dolmar more. I trusted what I was reading enough to just order one from @fordf150, sight unseen. I don't have a good Dolmar dealer presence here, and the one I have wouldn't answer the phone. Nate was fabulous to deal with and was a better price than any internet search I came up with!

So, pics before I ramble on anymore...
View attachment 32091

And after using a bit...
View attachment 32092

I like the looks of the bucking spikes in the first picture on the table did they come with the saw?