High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Doing well 127 threads in milling lets discuss chain pitch

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm right there, now. All set with 404 , 375 and hope to test long bar 325 soon.

My question. Who runs quarter inch 0.250 pitch for finish cuts?

One and done is the idea here. The mill each cut, time, money, resources and it's work not like an auto machine. Even with a winch you still "work" to set up every cut.

Considering taking fine finish work to a mill. The draw back is, will the finish be any better than a saw chain? Take into account I would use well kept chain with a low face angle. I have ideas about how to get a very smooth cut based on chain prep. More on that in another thread later.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure finish would be any better, think it’s more important to keep the chain sharp and angles from 5-10 degrees depending on what your cutting. Also I think 1/4 pitch would be to weak for a big saw and I’m thinking a snapped chain could wreck the finish and possibly your day. Stihl says to use the 3/8” picco on saws below 2 1/2 or 3 hp only don’t remember exactly. Proper tension is probably the most important and I run my chains as tight as I think I can get away with. Along with a bar having even and straight rails.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Shaun Carr stated he ran 3/8lp 36" bar in 30" wood for 2.5 cuts about ten foot long I think. He snapped the chain leaning on it with a 395. This shows great potential for the chain IMO.

Small power heads should do ok with it. Shorter loops will helps that program.

If I try o.250 chain it will be 60cc or less and not more than a 28" loop.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the 1/4 pitch is the micro chassis also .043 drivers and thin kerf so you’d need a special bar ect. Don’t know for sure if you could even get a bar that is thin enough to use 1/4 pitch in a 28” length. Bar might pinch in the narrow kerf.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shaun Carr stated he ran 3/8lp 36" bar in 30" wood for 2.5 cuts about ten foot long I think. He snapped the chain leaning on it with a 395. This shows great potential for the chain IMO.

Small power heads should do ok with it. Shorter loops will helps that program.

If I try o.250 chain it will be 60cc or less and not more than a 28" loop.

It did a lot of smaller cuts before that, just pulling through 31" of oak was too much for it. I was running an aux oiler too so the chain was well lubed.

The lopro took less of a kerf and was a little faster. I had both the regular and the lopro semi chisel chain sharpened at 5-45-0, lots of hook angle to get it to bite. It was older Windsor lopro, I hear the newer Stihl chain is much stronger.

The hardest part of running lopro at this length is finding a 50 gauge bar. Also you have to cut down a .404 sprocket for the 3/8 lopro since it takes a larger diameter than regular 3/8's chain.

I have an old Oregon 36" that was 50 gauge. I did belt sand the bar to try to skinny it up a little for the narrow kerf. I'm sure it would start hanging up in the cut as you get to the end of life for the chain.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying it won’t work but is it worth the hassle in the end and would it really be any smoother? And the narrow bars don’t go past 16-18” far as I know. Have the 3/8” picco micro.043 gauge on my pole saw and ms171

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a fat nose 50 in 114dl. I can't get an LP tip for it. Maybe build a hard nose tip or does one exist for the ES and ESwn?

I have another way to run 1/4 325 365 or 375. I'll get back to this next week :)

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm right there, now. All set with 404 , 375 and hope to test long bar 325 soon.

My question. Who runs quarter inch 0.250 pitch for finish cuts?

One and done is the idea here. The mill each cut, time, money, resources and it's work not like an auto machine. Even with a winch you still "work" to set up every cut.

Considering taking fine finish work to a mill. The draw back is, will the finish be any better than a saw chain? Take into account I would use well kept chain with a low face angle. I have ideas about how to get a very smooth cut based on chain prep. More on that in another thread later.
I have found similar surface after ten days of air dry, between square chisel skip and ripping chain. The chains thread with square sharping w/file or the other with Simmington grinder is full of ideas with pictures. My six foot bar takes 213 dl's IIRC. Chains is goin to a man who indicates he will grind them for me. Dressing the gullets and rakers and maybe stoning the edges shall provide a better surface on my slabs while faster cutting also.
Lotta research/work involved pics with results will follow a bit of use.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like .404 full comp for milling chisel ground with little side plate lean on the cutter,the less grabby you can get the chain the smoother the cut will be keep the rakers as high as you can also ,think slow the chain down for milling for a nice finish ,.050 i had to run an aux oiler ,the .404 i dont.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Greg doesn't know when the big orange bars will be back in stock. Talked with him within the last 38 hours about the 84" for my 661 and a 48" 3/8" x .050. GB had said mid June four months ago so backed up orders seem to be the deal of the summer
A 661 isn’t pulling or oiling a 84” bar unless you plan to do a dual powerhead or auxiliary oiler IMHO.

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t think it’s oiling or pulling a 84” bar unless it’s fairly souped up. My 090 has plenty to do trying a 72” on its own with auxiliary oiler plus pumping extra here and there. I know a 661 can put out some serious power when ported, but I’m not sure an all out mod 661 is up to the steady duty of milling.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t think it’s oiling or pulling a 84” bar unless it’s fairly souped up. My 090 has plenty to do trying a 72” on its own with auxiliary oiler plus pumping extra here and there. I know a 661 can put out some serious power when ported, but I’m not sure an all out mod 661 is up to the steady duty of milling.
My 60" bar was a " just in case" purchase cause I really liked the cannon 50" bar.IMG_20161014_161335.jpg
This setup wiggled on the tightest few inches. If I had a 72" bar one more slice wood have been made and the root buttresses wood have reached at least seven feet end to end for a very unique ( expensive) slice. Owners sil ground it up. When I found the six foot bar I have I bought it. When I find a seven foot bar I will get it even tho the five footer was only used three times on this stump and the six footer has not been needed yet.
The ms-460 was able to take on several 36-38" diameter logs for milling. Skip square chisel helps as does sharpest cutters I can make, as we all know. The 661 has a ported cylinder, modded muf and does well. My chances of needing an eighty four inch bar are small in the area I live, but I have been invited to participate in milling GTG's with large diameter logs. Specific crotch cuts and other rare opportunities may come up and I want to be able to make those decisions with my mind rather than the lack of equipment.
Now if there was a steady diet of six foot plus logs an eight foot dual powerhead sawmiller bar wood be on order. I'm disability retired most of this century and when I remember I'll go by the social insecurity office to apply. If I don't make it in the next 29 months it will automatically come to me @ 70.
Just to share my perspective