Crank seal question. MS 250

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the best reasons not to use joining products that harden so that disassembly is made much easier. When working out porting numbers on unknown cylinders an engine may get torn down many times as small changes are made to the ports , engine assembled and run, timed cuts and then dissembled over and over to get to a final set of numbers. I would use copper Permatex until I found that final setup then clean all surfaces really well and use Hylomar for the final assembly. Hylomar is a specialty joining product specifically designed for engine assembly where gas and oil resistance is required. Yes I do a thin coat all around the seals on clam shell saws,Hylomar does not harden but will stay in place for ever, been on my equipment for more than 50 years without a failure.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
One of the best reasons not to use joining products that harden so that disassembly is made much easier. When working out porting numbers on unknown cylinders an engine may get torn down many times as small changes are made to the ports , engine assembled and run, timed cuts and then dissembled over and over to get to a final set of numbers. I would use copper Permatex until I found that final setup then clean all surfaces really well and use Hylomar for the final assembly. Hylomar is a specialty joining product specifically designed for engine assembly where gas and oil resistance is required. Yes I do a thin coat all around the seals on clam shell saws,Hylomar does not harden but will stay in place for ever, been on my equipment for more than 50 years without a failure.
Overkill.. but solid advice.
Time tells tales.