Crank seal question. MS 250

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My boys ms 250 started running like crap so i checked it out and it has an air leek where the bottom clam bolts to the motor.
I just had it apart 4 or 5 years ago and replaced the seals. Just wondering if i could re use them or get new ones? Also this is first time i have had motoseal fail. Anyine else have motoseal fail?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are the "lips" leaking (inner side by crank) or the seal at the upper corner of the bottom of that seam Where the ridge is "outter side " of seal. No info on motoseal. I've used Honda/yamabond

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just put one together on the cheap. Pto side leaked on mine. Found a used replacement from my box of 250 stuff. I have used permatex 518 on a couple, been good for a couple of years. This last one I used permatex motoseal #29132.

Creaky limb tree care

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found air leaks between the cases on these clamshells in the past, the last one was on an all original untouched Stihl factory build with a tiny pin size leak, so yes they do fail on the sealant! As for reusing the seals, I wouldn't recommend it, besides they are cheap enough to buy!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used copper seal rtv on the bottom, corners and skimmed around the coated seals. Works fine with other non coated steel seals also. No leaks ever on a clamshell. Scotch brite the mating surfaces and clean them well with something stinky like solvents. Skim coat only!

gduvic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Put in new seals too much work not too. As for sealant your choice. I use different sealants depends on what I'm doing.When it comes to clam shell engines I use Stihls sealant Dirco.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the "lips" leaking (inner side by crank) or the seal at the upper corner of the bottom of that seam Where the ridge is "outter side " of seal. No info on motoseal. I've used Honda/yamabond
Not the seal at all. The base of the lower clam.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only reason i was thinking of usingmold seals is dont really want to go into many places if i dont have to with this covid 19 crap. But if better to get new ones i will. It is a lot of work as mentioned to not replace them for the money.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Only reason i was thinking of usingmold seals is dont really want to go into many places if i dont have to with this covid 19 crap. But if better to get new ones i will. It is a lot of work as mentioned to not replace them for the money.

Check them for cracks by flexing the seal under a 5x glass.
Look at the seal lips for wear. They don't distort much and can be set back in the same position.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would probably replace the seals as you are right there. I would try and flatten the engine pan on some plate glass and sand paper. I have found that over time the corners will pull up.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hl supply was out of stock last time i ordered from them. Thats why I scrounged. Besides, if they start leaking, it will go faster the second time.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20 dollars per seal. Think i will try the old ones first or order ebay ones.

If you order them from ebay be prepared for a long wait time. I had some ordered for about a month now and still haven't received them so I re-ordered them from another vendor and haven't received them either. I think I have other orders also from ebay which are late...

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
O_S_02X.jpg
9638 003 1581 is the expensive one. Those will not last, it's a quick fix.
For the price of one set of 9638 003 1581 you should get 3 sets of 9636 003 1585 seals, and that's oem seals, aftermarket are even less..... in every way ....... ;)
RV

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another question. When you guys reassemble a clam engine. Do ya put gasket sealer all around the seal or leave them. When i did this one i did but if i hadnt i could have got it apart with out ruining the one seal. I think i dont need to. What your thoughts?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Another question. When you guys reassemble a clam engine. Do ya put gasket sealer all around the seal or leave them. When i did this one i did but if i hadnt i could have got it apart with out ruining the one seal. I think i dont need to. What your thoughts?

How do you ruin a seal disassembling a clam shell motor?
I'm not busting your balls.