Crank Case Pressure/Vacuum Theory

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just because, I fired up a 2171 and clamped off the impulse.
Would stay running continuously, idle through about 3/4 throttle, including quick piss revs but cuts out pretty abruptly near wot.
The idle bumps up a bit almost immediately when clamped.

Fairly straightforward, didn't see the need to set up video.

No conclusions, just data...

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching @Stump Shot video of the saw running, the guage shows a vacuum at idle and goes to a pressure at wot.

So lets say the diaphragm is going up and down.
At the point where the pulse goes from vacuum to pressure, does the diaphragm momentarily stop, then say reverse direction (going down/up) for lack of better words? Or does it just carry on doing what it was doing?
To me, if its going from vacuum to pressure, not only is the frequency of the pulse changing but also the amplitude.
To use @Fruecrue sine wave, wouldnt there come a point where the wave "twisted" on itself?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching @Stump Shot video of the saw running, the guage shows a vacuum at idle and goes to a pressure at wot.

So lets say the diaphragm is going up and down.
At the point where the pulse goes from vacuum to pressure, does the diaphragm momentarily stop, then say reverse direction (going down/up) for lack of better words? Or does it just carry on doing what it was doing?
To me, if its going from vacuum to pressure, not only is the frequency of the pulse changing but also the amplitude.
To use @Fruecrue sine wave, wouldnt there come a point where the wave "twisted" on itself?

Looked to me in @chy_farm tests that pulse and piston are 1 to 1.
I think the gauge reading is misleading. The sine wave so to speak isn’t equal above and below the zero point so we see the needle seem to settle high.
Impulse tapping in the crankcase must play a role as does intake port timing.

I mostly made all that up on the fly.
How’d I do?

Since I’m making chit up, I’d also like to challenge the theory of @Termitebuffet that pulse strength is constant regardless of engine speed.
My minds eye sees a change due to mass air flow. If the throttle plate restricts intake, wouldn’t there be less primary compression, thus a change in impulse strength?

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looked to me in @chy_farm tests that pulse and piston are 1 to 1.
I think the gauge reading is misleading. The sine wave so to speak isn’t equal above and below the zero point so we see the needle seem to settle high.
Impulse tapping in the crankcase must play a role as does intake port timing.

I mostly made all that up on the fly.
How’d I do?

Since I’m making chit up, I’d also like to challenge the theory of @Termitebuffet that pulse strength is constant regardless of engine speed.
My minds eye sees a change due to mass air flow. If the throttle plate restricts intake, wouldn’t there be less primary compression, thus a change in impulse strength?
I'm loading the video now should be done by next Tuesday. ...lmao

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was that with the throttle plate closed?
Just wondering if the needle would move differently if the throttle was held open.

For many years I was always told to do car engine compression tests at w.o.t.
I've done back to back on same engine open and closed, my compression tester read the same.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s come up a few times. I remember the subject, but not the details.
Just wondering if the needle would move differently if the throttle was held open.

I've done back to back on same engine open and closed, my compression tester read the same.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That was no carb at all

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...