Clogger Zero Pants

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Zero chainsaw pants' sounds like guys out cutting in their shorts and flip-flops (something we have all seen). For Clogger, it implies pants that are so light, cool, and flexible, that they almost feel weightless, especially when compared to some other protective products

I am normally a 'chaps guy': I put them on when I cut, and take them off when doing other stuff. But, after reviewing the Clogger chaps, they suggested I check out their protective pants too. Chainsaw protective pants are often preferred by those who wear them all day, and especially by climbers, since straps, buckles, etc., can get snagged on branches, tangled with harnesses, etc. So arborists are a key market. Apparently, they are also preferred in Europe.

https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.20077/

I tried a pair of chainsaw pants a number of years ago. They were made with nylon that reminded me of rain pants in the front, and some type of mesh panel in the back. The protective pads were about as thick as those on chaps. They were somewhat bulky and noisy when I walked. They were kind of hot in the front, and I got a breeze through the back. I really wanted to take them off at lunch, but I did not have the foresight to wear gym shorts, or something similar, underneath. I did not keep that pair.

IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0150.jpg

These pants are very different.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clogger offers several different styles of pants, including some designed to hold up to heavier use and abrasion by groundies; summer and 'all season' versions; and women's specific designs. The pair I received are the 'Zero Gen2 Light and Cool Men's Arborist Chainsaw Pants', intended to provide flexibility for climbing, and for use in warmer weather.

https://goclogger.com/clogger-zero-mens-chainsaw-pants/

Frankly, these are very cool and professional looking, with a few Hi-Viz accents (a mostly orange version is also available). Clogger uses a lot of high tech fabrics on the outside, and their 'Arrestex HP' protective material, which meets chainsaw protection standards with less bulk.

IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0154.jpg

With four-way stretch fabric in the seat, front of thighs (down to knees) and back of leg (down to calves), the pants are very comfortable, and allow a very good range of movement. But they fit differently than jeans, with a very short rise in the front, which took a little getting used to. I wore them around the house, out walking the dog, etc., to see how they really fit. I never really forgot that I had them on: the protective pads feel like wearing a thick pair of sweat pants, and I got an occasional breeze through the fixed side vents (which feels like your pants are torn, if you are not expecting it!). But I was in no hurry to take them off.

The elastic, rear waistband, and stretchy fabric create a slim, comfortable fit, even for 'mature' figures like mine. The standard inseam on the pair I received, chosen to fit my waist, was about 2 inches too long for me. Clogger says a little extra length helps when climbing to allow full range of knee and leg motion, and since a harness can make the leg ride up a bit.

They also offer custom sizing, and at least one of their sizing charts lists a 'short leg' option, which might have better suited me. If you don't have the opportunity to try these on at a store, it might be best to contact them directly before ordering to get the right fit.

The lower portion of each leg is a heavier, non-stretchy, fabric, which is more abrasion resistant. A small, metal hook at the bottom cuffs can hook into your boot laces to keep the pant legs in place.

IMG_0151.jpg

There are two, slim, zippered pockets on each side, along with a third, Velcro-closure pocket further down on the left leg. These are large enough to securely hold things like keys, wallet, cell phone, etc., without bulging, but would not hold things like wedges, screnches, or other bulky items. There are no rear pockets.

These Zero pants can be machine washed (warm) and hung to dry.

IMG_0155.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I'm 'gonna have to go cut some stuff to try these things in use (not the cut resistance part, hopefully). Big differences between these and the protective pants I tried before. I can't compare them against other, current brands, but they have come a long way in design, fabrics / materials, and thought from my first pair.

I am unlikely to climb, so would I have been better matched with their more durable 'Defender' pants, designed to hold up better to brush, abrasion from carrying logs, etc.? Perhaps. But there is an argument to be made for this lightweight, highly breathable style on the ground. Most of us do not expect to get cut from a running saw, and many of us would prefer to cut in jeans if we could 'get away with it'. So, a lightweight, comfortable, protective garment could be the bridge between 'have to' and 'want to' for general cutting activities.

This pair is designed for cutting in hotter weather, with thin, breathable outer fabrics. It feels like I have room for long underwear underneath, if I want to use them in colder weather: might have to put some duct tape, or Post-It Notes over the vents.

I would be interested to hear from users of protective pants (any brand), what they like about them, what they dislike, etc. Also, aside from a chainsaw strike, what wears out first: seats, knees, crotches, etc.

Philbert

Last edited:

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been wearing the zeros for a couple years now and I really like them. Very comfortable, light and not as hot as the Husqvarna tech pants. I switch to the huskies in winter because the cloggers are kinda cold with the big mesh panel but some of my employees wear the zeros year round. I’ve got nothing bad to say about them.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[mention]Philbert [/mention]
Have you ever tried the in pant inserts like a lot of guys on the west coast wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever tried the in pant inserts like a lot of guys on the west coast wear?
I have not personally tried these.

I have seen them in some catalogs, and they are an interesting idea. But I don't know if they meet the OSHA / ASTM / and other standards.

Philbert

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not personally tried these.

I have seen them in some catalogs, and they are an interesting idea. But I don't know if they meet the OSHA / ASTM / and other standards.

Philbert

They do meet OHSA standards, not sure about the other standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Car dashboard says 85°F. NWS says 88°F and 57° dew point. Outside thermometer says 96°F. Dog says he's staying inside with the window A/C. Hot and sweaty any way you look at it. Of course, I have to be be outside, scrounging through a neighbor's brush pile, before the chipper comes; I need some limbs to test a few saws and chains, and this is a close to home delivery as I can reasonably ask for.

Pull out my Clogger ZEROs. I am not going to say that I did not know that I had them on: can certainly feel the protective pads in the front. But a whole lot better than jeans and conventional chaps. The front rise still feels a bit short, but they felt fine with a pair of suspenders. Also liked the cool back and the freedom of movement in these temps.

Philbert

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Car dashboard says 85°F. NWS says 88°F and 57° dew point. Outside thermometer says 96°F. Dog says he's staying inside with the window A/C. Hot and sweaty any way you look at it. Of course, I have to be be outside, scrounging through a neighbor's brush pile, before the chipper comes; I need some limbs to test a few saws and chains, and this is a close to home delivery as I can reasonably ask for.

Pull out my Clogger ZEROs. I am not going to say that I did not know that I had them on: can certainly feel the protective pads in the front. But a whole lot better than jeans and conventional chaps. The front rise still feels a bit short, but they felt fine with a pair of suspenders. Also liked the cool back and the freedom of movement in these temps.

Philbert
Not sure what you mean by front rise but I spent a lot of money on a pair of Pfanner chainsaw pants only to find that when I wanted to pull them up to where they were comfortable on my waist the crotch was severely cutting into my crotch/ nut sack area. Also it felt like I had nothing on my keister every time the wind blew. Other than that they looked like quality goods but the crotch thing was a deal breaker for me so I sold them.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen some breathflex chainsaw pants & wonder if anyone has any experience with them? I’d be willing to give Cloggers a go but I’d like to find exactly what Phil is talking about when he mentions the front rise being short.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by front rise
Screen shot 2021-07-03 at 8.18.16 PM.png
I am referring to the distance between the crotch and the waistband, as shown in the attached illustration. And, to be clear, they are not uncomfortable to wear, but they fit differently from jeans, khakis, or other pants that I normally wear. And everybody is different. No substitute for trying clothes on. Buy them somewhere where you can return them, if you can't try them on in person.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"*Win a pair of Clogger Zeros!*
(worth RRP $340 USD)
Hanging out for a fresh pair of Zeros? We are giving you the chance to win a pair – and there are 2 pairs to be won!
Winner can choose any men's or women's sizing option and the colour option they would like.
*How to enter*
31_20e3.png
Like ‘Clogger’ on Facebook
32_20e3.png
Tag 3 friends in the comments
- Competition will be open from 12pm NZST 08/07/2021 – 5pm NZST 22/07/2021"

Philbert

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I switch back an forth between the Defender line of pants and the new Denim style pants. I used to wear the Zero’s a lot back when I climbed - they were great as well.. But now that I’m always on the ground logging, I can tell you that Clogger has it figured out! Their pants have always fit great, been lightweight, breathable, and MOST IMPORTANTLY - comfortable!! If they aren’t comfortable, it’s easier to make excuses about wearing them.. Stay safe!