CLEARCUT meets the 500i

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh, I don’t really find paper specs to be a accurate representation of real world fuel usage. Here’s a example of why. When we run our 390xp all day we need at least 2-2.5 gallons of fuel to get through the day. When we run a 572 or 441 we can get through a day with about half the gas. The run time might be similar per tank, but the fuel used is actually more with the 390xp. It’s a bigger saw... with a bigger fuel and oil tank. So it’s using more fuel per tank full of runtime.

I'm not following you Mason … tank size was included in the information.

Also something to consider … the bigger saw will do more work in the same amount of time … does it correspond with the increased fuel usage??? IMO, that would be an interesting test, but even if it doesn't, getting more done in the same amount of time is really worth something.

(This was in response to the post two prior)

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
10:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 390xp might use a lot of fuel yes, but it’s tolerable because it has a large fuel/oil tank. Run time per tank isn’t bad at all... which the paper specs show. They just don’t show how much fuel your using realistically in a day. I’m guessing the combination of a rather small fuel tank with a high consumption rate is why guys are complaining about the 500i. A slightly larger fuel/oil tank would make this more tolerable.
The 500 has about the same size tank as the 390 but uses more fuel than the 390

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
1579389087597-2067854256.png 1579389165872-915589284.png
View attachment 215918 The Bullbuck had to give it a try. He loved it.
The deal was my Bullbucker was going to lend me a 36" chain as I came off two weeks of heli then took a float plane on to this conventional job on an Island. Some POS took a new 36" from off our lower heli pad that I had laying there for a while.
Anyway... You could see this snag from the road so he offered me a 36" square ground chain as I only had chain for a 33" Oregon lite and 32 Stihl lite. This was after the first day I had it in range and didn'y fall it.
He got me on the radio at day end and asked if I had dropped it yet.
I said I would get it in the morning when I'm fresh and he said that's what he would do too. He was supposed to come over and discuss bucking as he said it was easier to do on site while we are both at the wood; as the wood was getting bigger as from a few days earlier.
So he is my hikers right side falling partner anyway. I'm putting on the chain and he shows up. I said the rakers have never been touched? Chain was getting down to the end. I tell him I got to do the rakers. I had another saw on the face so he grabs it and starts chewing away at the undercut. It had a hole in the front so it wasn't too bad with a 32" but the saw was bought as a new 365 low top. So I make it into a glass Tigar with a MM, high top, wrap and 'westcoasters" (oversized dogs) and not even broken in or wAs it ment to be broken in as an X-Torq. It was just something I hoped I never had to use that shift. Of course I ripped off the sticker. He was asking a few times if the 'better saw with good to go already (in my words) as he was finishing the undercut. As soon as I said I was ready he grabbed out and wanted the saw. I got punked off by a 58 yr old and 40 yr coast vet. I guess I can live with that.
He said the little saw was fine when asked..which surprised me.
Dry spruce, I guess it was fine but he runs ported 660's. The guy was a little serious so I snuck a couple pictures and a short video. I told him at night when he was more relaxed with a joint and a few drinks of hard bar. He asked if I could send it to his email so he could show his grandson what he does? Anyway I showed him the pic and said you never want to lend your boss your saw. He said, "I am your Falling partner,, Not you Boss! Kinda make me feel good enough to say: "k..then stay of my land (my wood) next time unless a need a second opinion. haha

We lost a partner a few days later by a snag just over the valley up to the left of the pic...
The rescue was botched and it should not have ended that way. I fell out with him over it and then I got f*ed around on my return shift schedule. I jump ship even know they rescheduled me back again.
Our last words through e-mail were him saying: "Jamie!..If you ever think I f*ed you around then don't ever show up on a job where I'm Bullbucking on.

To those that get caught up in the picture shows and think it's glamorous then guess again.
I have no problem getting off my chest to a Bullbucker and lead first aid/faller as to what I think but when someone's daughter is thanking us as first responders for doing such a wonderful job then you have to take it to your grave for their comfort. And that's it.

Last edited:

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The nitty gritty answer is that when running the 661 and my 500i all day, I’ll burn more fuel using the 500i. I’m saying “my 500”, because I don’t know if that’s how others will be. I find fuel economy to be relatively important and tank size as @huskyboy said, as well.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it still have the front port muffler? Maybe try the flat stock oem muffler cover back on it with a opened stock port. It might be too much muffler outlet for the saw, it could think it has a airleak and be fattening up. Just guessing here... it would cost you 0$ to try it.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything guys are talking about is supported by the paper specs. The 500 uses more fuel per hour than a 661 per paper specs. According to @StephK87 he knows a proffesional that says it uses almost twice what a 572 uses which more or less agrees with what Mason is saying comparing a 390 with a 572/441. I went by the dealer today and he said they have sold 4 units and the one guy who is a proffesional cutter has said the 500 is very thirsty. Sounds like this is just how these saws are and we may just be beating this subject to death....

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read a little while ago that they were being recalled for fuel line ruptures and causing fires. Dont shoot the messenger lol. Just putting out what I read.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 660s are noticeably thirstier than my other saws, but if you need to noodle some large rounds, or do some milling, or large stumping, they are so much better at it than my other saws that you just bite that bullet!

That said, I'm happy I got the 462! It is a real nice saw with a 20" light bar!

For "500" type wood, I have my ported hybrids and 460.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read a little while ago that they were being recalled for fuel line ruptures and causing fires. Dont shoot the messenger lol. Just putting out what I read.

I read the same. Maybe they aren't putting the whole reason out there? EPA would step in if it were for excess fuel...
Not so much for fire related issue...
Just thinking outloud.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read the same. Maybe they aren't putting the whole reason out there? EPA would step in if it were for excess fuel...
Not so much for fire related issue...
Just thinking outloud.
I agree, no telling what it really is about.