Chainsaw wont start

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a friend drop off a few saws that he couldnt get going. First one poulan 3300 needed new gas.
Second cheapy newer poulan intake was loose sucking air.
And my favourite was the last one. Little old homelite. Figured i might as well start by dumping out the old fuel. Started pouring and nothin but bar oil in the gas tank and the bar oil tank full of gas lol. Never had this befor so thought it was kinda funny. Im sure you guys and girls have had lots of stuff show up like this.
21e5ceb9715b0b1447de1668c5c160c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Had a friend drop off a few saws that he couldnt get going. First one poulan 3300 needed new gas.
Second cheapy newer poulan intake was loose sucking air.
And my favourite was the last one. Little old homelite. Figured i might as well start by dumping out the old fuel. Started pouring and nothin but bar oil in the gas tank and the bar oil tank full of gas lol. Never had this befor so thought it was kinda funny. Im sure you guys and girls have had lots of stuff show up like this.
21e5ceb9715b0b1447de1668c5c160c6.jpg

So have you figured out what's wrong with the Homelite yet???

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So have you figured out what's wrong with the Homelite yet???
Put bar oil where the gas goes and gas where the bar oil goes.

Havnt tried firing it up yet but im sure i will have to pull carb to clean it out. Plus im out of gas too. Gotta get some today so i can try it.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Put bar oil where the gas goes and gas where the bar oil goes.

Havnt tried firing it up yet but im sure i will have to pull carb to clean it out. Plus im out of gas too. Gotta get some today so i can try it.

Sorry sarcasm is one of my strongest weak points....

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some fresh mox in the little homelite. She fired rite up but has an air leak. Tip it on its side and it starts leaning out.
Not sure if i can get seals for it or if its worth fixing but up to the guy who owns it.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fix saws for a friend that owns a tree service, brought me a 372 that wouldnt run...put fuel in the tank and it fired right up...
Same guy brought me a 345 that had no power and wouldnt rev up. Remove the carbon crusted spark screen and it ran like a champ... seems odd that guys who use saws for their livelihood can sometimes be so clueless about some of the most basic maintenance practices (i.e. Adding fuel)

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fix saws for a friend that owns a tree service, brought me a 372 that wouldnt run...put fuel in the tank and it fired right up...
Same guy brought me a 345 that had no power and wouldnt rev up. Remove the carbon crusted spark screen and it ran like a champ... seems odd that guys who use saws for their livelihood can sometimes be so clueless about some of the most basic maintenance practices (i.e. Adding fuel)
My neighbor took his riding lawnmower to the dealer because it wouldn't start. Out of gas. He said he was sure it had fuel in it, never bothered to check.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's easy to make mistakes, I fired up my Dolmar 5100S and it sounded way to lean, it died and I checked the fuel, completely empty..I've had an old top handle McCulloch here for a year or so, won't start. Yesterday I went out and vented the fuel cap and it started immediately..I won't mention the mistake I made while changing oil in my lawn mower..

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I admit I'm one of those guys that uses saws and knows nothing about them to keep them running. Basics only, bar maintenance, sharpen often, clean air filter, fresh mix, etc. I'm thinking it is time to learn more. By the way, what is a lawn mower?