Old STIHL chainsaw not running

Andrew c

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,I picked up a old STIHL 009 chainsaw at a garage sale for 15 bucks.Only catch was it wasn’t running.It ended up not having enough compression so I rebuilt the top end.I also went through and cleaned the carburetor and got new air filters.And I tried to start it after all that and I can’t get it to start.I got it to sputter off of some strait mixed gas,but no luck after that.Any ideas?

-Thanks,Andrew

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suggest you start your diagnosis process all over again, like you have never seen it before. Attempt to start and look at spark plug, is it wet? If so check for spark. Dry? Check for fuel, and so on until you wiggle your way down to the actual problem at hand.

Andrew c

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suggest you start your diagnosis process all over again, like you have never seen it before. Attempt to start and look at spark plug, is it wet? If so check for spark. Dry? Check for fuel, and so on until you wiggle your way down to the actual problem at hand.
Spark plug is wet I dryed it off and tried again but no luck.There is good spark,I even got a new plug.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you still have a carb issue metering lever set wrong, needle leaking by, Welch plug leaking, passage plugged could be anything. What model carb?

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the compression tester does not have a Schrader valve in it it will test really low and give a false reading. What happens if you hold the saw by the pull rope does it drop or does the compression try to hold it up

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the compression tester does not have a Schrader valve in it it will test really low and give a false reading. What happens if you hold the saw by the pull rope does it drop or does the compression try to hold it up
At 60 psi compression, that saw will drop like a rock. Top end rebuild is the only thing that will save it. That's likely why the owner sold it for 15 bucks. I suggest perhaps saving it for parts in a boneyard, but not many of these saws are around anymore.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the rope holds it up I doubt it's compression issue probably just carb issue then maybe go back through it and maybe take some pictures along the way and post them up a lot of smart people on here. Did you put new diaphragms in it or just clean it?

Andrew c

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the rope holds it up I doubt it's compression issue probably just carb issue then maybe go back through it and maybe take some pictures along the way and post them up a lot of smart people on here. Did you put new diaphragms in it or just clean it?
I just cleaned it.It looks super clean though and I can’t even get it to run off of starting fluid.

Andrew c

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 60 psi compression, that saw will drop like a rock. Top end rebuild is the only thing that will save it. That's likely why the owner sold it for 15 bucks. I suggest perhaps saving it for parts in a boneyard, but not many of these saws are around anymore.
The chainsaw holds up while holding the pull start.Do you think the compression reader was way off?It looked brand new.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Upside is if it does not work out, you have a great yacht anchor.