Chainsaw Porting Theory

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t mean to direct that at you, your post came in between Nutball and mine while I was typing.

I deleted that part as soon as I saw your post to try and avoid this, oh well, guess I can put it back now.
yaint gon a hurt my feelers dude haha

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t even understand any of that, let alone give a meaningful reply.

You guys win

I'll take a stab at it.

These are very primitive carbs. They can't supply additional fuel when load is applied because they have no power valve, or vacuum regulated metering systems.

So....they have to be tuned too rich when unloaded.

Simple.

Now....if you wanna spend hours debating the subject, or a lifetime trying to understand the "why" of it....have at it.

As for myself, I'll be doing other stuff.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand it... Autotune/Mtronic (electronic controlled carbs) can fatten or lean the saw out in the cut which is why they are an advantage for a worksaw when there working right. Maybe not an advantage for a race saw? I’m not doing that so can’t comment about that.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand it... Autotune/Mtronic (electronic controlled carbs) can fatten or lean the saw out in the cut which is why they are an advantage for a worksaw when there working right. Maybe not an advantage for a race saw? I’m not doing that so can’t comment about that.

There are a few "tricks" I can do on a 461 that help feed the secondary transfers, and they do make some difference in performance. This saw has an adjustable carb though.

Do the exact same thing to a 661 that is m-tronic, and it starts popping, or misfiring under load.

I'd love to have the deep thinkers amongst us explain this occurrence in detail.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Randy, have you tried putting one of your "tricked out" HD-50 carbs on a 460 or 440?

Sounds like the results may be interesting!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Randy, have you tried putting one of your "tricked out" HD-50 carbs on a 460 or 440?

Sounds like the results may be interesting!

No sir. There's no real difference between these carbs. The 461 carb has a different choke shaft....and a smaller jet. Aside from that I see no differences.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everybody with any interest has a theory .Doesn't mean any are right or any are wrong .With the exception of the newer designs with fresh air partial transfers nothing basically has ever changed .Whatever earth shattering new theory might arise it's all been done before .

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever earth shattering new theory might arise it's all been done before .

None of us have done nothing really new since McCulloch started modding saw engines in the 50s for kart racing.

We might like to think we've done something special, but we haven't.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My saws seemed to behave very differently with the different carbs. One liked the HD-50, the others did not. I don't know why.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t mean to direct that at you, your post came in between Nutball and mine while I was typing.

I deleted that part as soon as I saw your post to try and avoid this, oh well, guess I can put it back now.
I try to chase cause and effect down to their roots as best I can, but most people don't like that. I like to get on the level of atomic particles, because everything is made of them, and they are the most detailed means of studying cause and effect in large scale physics.

I can’t even understand any of that, let alone give a meaningful reply.

You guys win
:risas3: What you said was funny, I just wish we could discuss more. A win for me is when everyone including me learns and accepts what is true.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a few "tricks" I can do on a 461 that help feed the secondary transfers, and they do make some difference in performance. This saw has an adjustable carb though.

Do the exact same thing to a 661 that is m-tronic, and it starts popping, or misfiring under load.

I'd love to have the deep thinkers amongst us explain this occurrence in detail.
Well, what are the tricks, so I can start some overthinking.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, what are the tricks, so I can start some overthinking.

I don't wanna cause a mess. I've done that too many times.

Start talking about tricks.....next thing you know people are doing crazy stuff and blaming me for it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes I feel like Andy trying to discuss things here:

You've not lived through the last decade of forum wars. I not only survived it....I officiated.

Spend a few years sharing your hard earned information freely while getting kicked in the balls regularly, then get back to me on your willingness.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You've not lived through the last decade of forum wars. I not only survived it....I officiated.

Spend a few years sharing your hard earned information freely while getting kicked in the balls regularly, then get back to me on your willingness.
I completely understand where you're coming from, that video was more a representation of what I felt like when I first brought up the 4 stroking thing.

And I didn't really mean for you to reveal your tricks to the public, I figured you would choose whether or not to use PM if you chose to talk about that trick of yours. I like thinking about stuff. I'm still thinking on Deets double bridge port 066, and may perform some experiments on what could be going on with that or how to improve it in the coming weeks.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever earth shattering new theory might arise it's all been done before .

I don’t think anyone here is proclaiming to have anything particularly new, why do saws four stroke and then not when loaded was the discussion, no one is pushing for any major changes in current ideas, just trying to confirm and distill them down, at least I though my ideas on this were along the lines of generally accepted theory.

I just like to understand enough to get to a point where I can give a simple and clear answer to the question, I know I have been asked why do saws four stroke in years past by non saw enthusiasts, The first time It was an I don’t know, the second time I had an answer.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to chase cause and effect down to their roots as best I can, but most people don't like that. I like to get on the level of atomic particles, because everything is made of them, and they are the most detailed means of studying cause and effect in large scale physics.

:risas3: What you said was funny, I just wish we could discuss more. A win for me is when everyone including me learns and accepts what is true.

Well it’s not completely impossible to go too far given the context and item of discussion.

But as you say, you are yourself trying to learn as well, getting your ideas shot down is still learning.

Last edited: