First port and question about timing for 346xp cylinder

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Chinese one is nowhere near as smooth as my mc182.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Chinese one is nowhere near as smooth as my mc182.

I have 4 MC182s, and have had 2 of them rebuilt twice now. One of them was rebuilt once, and one is fairly new. The oldest ones have literally been used on thousands of jugs. By having several of them, I can swap handpieces rather than swapping bits. That saves a lot of time, and makes the collets last a lot longer.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 4 MC182s, and have had 2 of them rebuilt twice now. One of them was rebuilt once, and one is fairly new. The oldest ones have literally been used on thousands of jugs. By having several of them, I can swap handpieces rather than swapping bits. That saves a lot of time, and makes the collets last a lot longer.
I'm only doing my own saws so mine should last me until I'm in the ground.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm talking about the mc182, who knows how long the Chinese one will last.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on whether or not you have learned to control chatter. That's what hurts them.
I think I got that down, when I first used it I was bouncing all over the place.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How would this affect the saws performance compared to the 124°?
Most of what I’ve learned so far has been in regards to intake and exhaust so I’m curious to learn about upper transfers and how lower transfer height affects saw performance as well as why it might be better to raise these?
Along with blow down you must factor primary compression planning trans opening. With those numbers you have a pile of primary duration.

Headhunter1111

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
upload_2021-12-19_19-14-10.jpeg upload_2021-12-19_19-14-10.jpeg

Still got 135° on transfer opening today using the ring method. I ran it up to 124° and then pulled the jug to see how much these are off…. I wonder if my dentist would let me use his office?
@andyshine77 @huskihl @Mastermind
Is this much grinding on the transfers normal?
Still trying to figure out a reasonably priced right angle tool.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just went back and read your first post in this thread and noticed that your grindig on a Hyway titanikel cylinder, I ported one of these and befor you grind on it you should first take a diamond ball burr and grind the plating off where you'll be grinding, if you don't you'll get chipped plating like in your pic of the lower transfers. On mine I used a diamon burr first on the intake and exhaust but didn't on the upper transfers. I did the uppers without it chipping but when I pulled the cylinder the plating on the edge of the upper had started to chip away. even though it looked good when I had finished the burr must have lifted the plating and then it started comming lose while running, the intake and exhaust where I had used a diamond burr first still looked fine.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What your doing looks good, but that jug looks like junk. Lots of casting flash in the ports, awful chamfering. You see all the chipped plating where the bore meets the transfer lower? You may chip more at the uppers. Go carefully and when in doubt use a diamond bit.

Edit: you guys type fast!