First port and question about timing for 346xp cylinder

Headhunter1111

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Money doesn’t go as far at the pump these days, that’s for sure. Someone prolly has some numbers for you, but it would help if you could share where the ports time at right now.

It sure doesn’t. It’s close to 100 miles round trip to the job site right now. I need a Prius…
I got some numbers via pm. I will set up the degree wheel and post up the stock numbers when I get the time.

DOHC20

OPE Member
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to bring back a old thread but instead of starting a new one i thought id ask here. It seems as my stock intake numbers are so far from the commonly ported intake numbers that most are using, its about 11 degrees from where i need to be. It seems a long way to grind and im a little concerned if something is wrong or if i should just "grind away". My numbers are as follows
Intake=67deg
Exh =106deg
Trans =120deg

Id be shooting for around 77Deg of intake timing but like i said, its a way off..is there differences with the OE version and the NE versions intake timing numbers?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to bring back a old thread but instead of starting a new one i thought id ask here. It seems as my stock intake numbers are so far from the commonly ported intake numbers that most are using, its about 11 degrees from where i need to be. It seems a long way to grind and im a little concerned if something is wrong or if i should just "grind away". My numbers are as follows
Intake=67deg
Exh =106deg
Trans =120deg

Id be shooting for around 77Deg of intake timing but like i said, its a way off..is there differences with the OE version and the NE versions intake timing numbers?
You can trim off the piston skirt to get to your intake duration instead of lowering your port floor.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your base cut will buy you 2-3 degrees intake. Just changing the finish on the intake will add another degree.
67/106/120 are pretty good numbers though. Once you do a base cut you will probably only need to move the ports a little bit. If it is an OE then 77 intake is close to the edge. You would be fine with 72-74.

Personally, I feel like people fixate on intake duration and overlook time area. Wider is better and makes better case compression. Just my opinion though.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Intake=67deg
Exh =106deg
Trans =120deg

Double check that you get the same number on both sides of bottom or top dead center. And make sure it’s actually 67, not reading 73 or 77

DOHC20

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah i did actually check this intake timing twice..i thought i was going crazy. ive been checking with the digital angle gauge method and got the same numbers either side of BDC and TDC. Ill have a look next time i get out in the shop and see what i can come up with. im happy to grind closer to 71, 72 deg first and see how it cuts. i guess its easier to take less off than over grind and screw up if you know what i mean! the main thing i was trying top confirm was that the OE had different intake numbers than the NE which i wasn't aware of. I cant find much info on the OE versions, seems like most people only mod the NE versions.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gain a fair bit of displacement going from OE to NE. They run very similar when ported but the NE is faster in large cuts. I ran my ported OE against an XS NE and it lost by a hair. If you have the funds, it’s worth swapping in a 357/359 carb and intake setup.

DOHC20

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i might keep an eye out on the classifieds for the larger intake if it comes up for sure

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i might keep an eye out on the classifieds for the larger intake if it comes up for sure
I don't usually change the intake, but I do like the Walbro 198 or 199 in place of the Zama. The air filter parts from the 357 or 359 are a nice upgrade too.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't usually change the intake, but I do like the Walbro 198 or 199 in place of the Zama. The air filter parts from the 357 or 359 are a nice upgrade too.

Agreed. That’s a better way to say it.

@DOHC20, It’s not a completely straightforward swap. A little bit of clearance must be created and it’s a tight fit. There are some good threads documenting what’s involved if you look around.