High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So last week while we were out doing our annual wood cutting trip my son comes up to me with a distressed look on his face. He says:"I accidentally hit the dirt dad". I thought back to a time when I was his age saying the exact same thing to my dad. With the same look on my face, When I did that my dad got very angry & threw the chainsaw in the back of the truck and "said... great!....Now we're done for the day! " I never forgot how terrible I felt, and at the time never knew how to sharpen the chain.I was so very sorry to have ruined the day.

Fast forward 30 years now my son has done the same thing. I looked him in the eye and told him, it's no big deal it happens to the best of us. I told him also that I was proud of him for stopping and bringing it to my attention. I explained that continuing to cut would not only wear him out but possibly damage the saw as well, and not get any work done to boot. Then I showed him how to slap on another fresh chain and we were back in business not even three minutes later. Then I showed him how to avoid hitting the dirt in the future by cutting 3/4 of the way through rolling the log and then finishing with an up cut, I think my dad would've been proud at that teachable moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, good question, very hard for me to answer honestly....

I had hand filed for ever, until as you know months ago I got the grinder....I am sure you will believe me when I say that I really did put in a lot of effort to learn the grinder.....I also practiced a lot and luckily guys like you, @Moparmyway, @Philbert, @mdavlee, @Sierrawoodsman, and others answered all of my questions and steered me in the right direction!!!!

I really believe that a grinder can turn out a chain that cuts as fast and holds an edge as long as hand-filing....yes, I know that's a big statement....now I am talking about working chains that are for tree guys or firewood, not a chain that you use a stopwatch for....

I wish I could just say one or the other, but for me they both have there particular times were one method will shine over the other!!!!

No sir, I have not used the cleaning stick yet, they still look like they did when i opened the box.....also I don't sharpen as many chains as you do....
For work a ground chain is fine. I always set up my square for faster and don't worry about how long it holds an edge.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What angle do you have your base vise at now? The vise that holds the chain? From your pictures yesterday, looks like you took some out.
I tell ya taking close up pics of chain with a phone is a difficult thing....the angles can play tricks on the eyes....I try to take each one the same, but I am definitely not a photographer LOL....

30 degree base/vise angle.....

Also the most recent pics I posted of the Oregon .325 semi-chisel we ground at "0" degree tilt....I just seen a Oregon chain box and noticed Oregon calls for 10 degree tilt on the some-chisel too.....

So just to be clear both sets of the recent pics I posted were ground at.....

30-top plate angle,(vise/base)

55-degree grinder head

"0"-degree vise tilt...

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically I look at square and round filing the same way, when it comes to machine sharpening or hand filing....like a lot of you guys say, it all comes down to the operator....ALOT of people have bad opinions about grinders, (round grinders exspecially), because they have either had a chain ruined by a clueless employee at the local dealer, or they just pass on what they have heard....

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to see pics of your guys round ground chains that have been hand-filed and ground to get a good comparison....

I know it's hard to get a good pic, but with these phones it's actually not that bad....next time you guys grind a chain, just take a extra minute and hand file one cutter, then snap a few pics....I think it would be very interesting to see, and it is a good way to pick up a trick for someone else!!!!

One tip I that I have learned when taking pics of chains is to use a white paper towel or something light colored as the background....also it is MUCH easier to get a clear, close up pic if you lay the chain down on your work bench....trying to hold a chain in one hand and take a pic with your phone in the other can make for some blurry pics....

I really hope you guys can take a few extra minutes to post a comparison shot of your round filed and round ground chains....will be very interesting to see all the different profiles!!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I just ordered a goofy file....how much for a 20" 3/8 .50Ga 72DL chain for my ms461??

I am goin to get a loop of square so I can do some test if my own....I also want to have a loop so I can learn how to file it!!

If any of you guys are interested in shipping me a loop please let me know, time to give it a try!!!!

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to see pics of your guys round ground chains that have been hand-filed and ground to get a good comparison....

I know it's hard to get a good pic, but with these phones it's actually not that bad....next time you guys grind a chain, just take a extra minute and hand file one cutter, then snap a few pics....I think it would be very interesting to see, and it is a good way to pick up a trick for someone else!!!!

One tip I that I have learned when taking pics of chains is to use a white paper towel or something light colored as the background....also it is MUCH easier to get a clear, close up pic if you lay the chain down on your work bench....trying to hold a chain in one hand and take a pic with your phone in the other can make for some blurry pics....

I really hope you guys can take a few extra minutes to post a comparison shot of your round filed and round ground chains....will be very interesting to see all the different profiles!!!!!
Pictures,
Your grinding looks better then most. Probably why no one is posting pictures.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pictures,
Your grinding looks better then most. Probably why no one is posting pictures.
Well thanks I do appreciate it, but I know you guys are turning out great chains, hell you guys basically taught me how....

And I also just like to compare different methods, not trying to see who the "best" is....

By the way what does a loop of Oregon 20" 3/8 72DL go for...

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"A grinder is only as good as the -nut behind the wheel"

Having said that I'm still yet to catch some of the Jedi master square filers on here.

Here's one I did for a buddy of mine the other day. Before and after
4200e8965f4ac316c64e37940b3abd55.jpg

a69e26c8ddc5d8fef01846759f9178dd.jpg

Man your square grinding looks mean!!!!

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You certainly have improved your round ground chain a lot since this thread began. I can't see how you could make it much better to be honest. Great job!

Here's one of my pictures of round ground on my Oregon 620 after I got it.

c3e3893606ead603c3b9e65bb51f1ab7.jpg

One tip I can offer with regard to taking pictures if you are using your phone is to get yourself one-of these:

This lens clips onto your phone and give you much better "macro"-(up close pictures).
They're pretty cheap too for a high quality Lens. Less than $30 on Amazon
Also,in addition to this lens if you have an iPhone the camera has a built in "magnifier" you can use to give you additional magnification that I find useful.

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You certainly have improved your round ground chain a lot since this thread began. I can't see how you could make it much better to be honest. Great job!

Here's one of my pictures of round ground on my Oregon 620 after I got it.

c3e3893606ead603c3b9e65bb51f1ab7.jpg

One tip I can offer with regard to taking pictures if you are using your phone is to get yourself one-of these:

This lens clips onto your phone and give you much better "macro"-(up close pictures).
They're pretty cheap too for a high quality Lens. Less than $30 on Amazon
Also,in addition to this lens if you have an iPhone the camera has a built in "magnifier" you can use to give you additional magnification that I find useful.

Thanks a lot I appriciate it....

Ya the I phone does take good pics, the magnifier is awesome....I didn't know they had that attachment, that is wild!!!

I recently have been using the HDR setting, in the right condition, it can really "enhance" the photo....

I may get a little to carried away with the round ground/filed chain, but I am just the kind of person that can't really half ass something....LOL

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Round chain usg 10-9-15 131.JPG Round chain usg 10-9-15 126.JPG Round chain usg 10-9-15 124.JPG Round chain usg 10-9-15 123.JPG Round chain usg 10-9-15 122.JPG

With my old oregon i could get a sharper cutter if filed after i ground ,but with my usg ,the stone is different ,it actually feels sharper off my grinder than my file for some reason ,i use weird angles though for round 40-20-20 , 95% of my chains i just do square on the silvey ,i like the smoothness of square ,not as grabby cutting .Here is what my round looks like off the grinder .

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 73401 View attachment 73402 View attachment 73403 View attachment 73404 View attachment 73405
With my old oregon i could get a sharper cutter if filed after i ground ,but with my usg ,the stone is different ,it actually feels sharper off my grinder than my file for some reason ,i use weird angles though for round 40-20-20 , 95% of my chains i just do square on the silvey ,i like the smoothness of square ,not as grabby cutting .Here is what my round looks like off the grinder .
Well now that is a damn fine chain sir....I have looked at a lot of factory Stihl chain, and you my friend have basically replicated it, VERY nice!!!!

If you don't mind I have to ask a few questions....what Oregon model grinder did you have....and how long have you had the usg....

There have been a few times I thought maybe I should have saved twice as much and got the usg...however, in all honesty I don't do near the volume of chains you guys do....I would love to use one and see what they are all about, I know they are damn good grinders!!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok @junkman i was about to eat dinner, but your post made me run to garage and snap a few shot is RS, LOL....now I can't remember if I ground these with stone wheels or CBN wheel...

Anyway let me know what you think!!!
IMG_2616.JPG