High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and it must be an optical illusion because the cutters look like RS or chisel chain....I will assure you they are 100% RM (semi-chisel)....I use this chain for stumping lol....

Oh and I hit the rakers with my 3/8 grinding wheel the last time, I was in a hurry to get a job done, so yes they look funny LOL....

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
4:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys I was gutting the baffle out of my 461 and doing a muf mod the other day....I ground my 25" RM chain while I was at it.....

After I ground the chain I decided to hand file one cutter, just to see how close I am keeping my grinding and filling profiles the same.....

I will post one picture of each cutter, can you guys tell which was hand filed and which was ground....

We can call the first picture A and the second picture B.....

Picture-A
View attachment 73035

Picture -B
View attachment 73036
I say that A = Hand filed

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh and it must be an optical illusion because the cutters look like RS or chisel chain....I will assure you they are 100% RM (semi-chisel)....I use this chain for stumping lol....

Oh and I hit the rakers with my 3/8 grinding wheel the last time, I was in a hurry to get a job done, so yes they look funny LOL....
No your depth gauges look great compared to mine when I am in a hurry, plus I like mine pretty low don't tell anyone but I frequently use a 4.5" angle grinder to lower new chains when in a hurry....

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and it must be an optical illusion because the cutters look like RS or chisel chain....I will assure you they are 100% RM (semi-chisel)....
Absolutely look like full chisel cutters to me.

The profile curve on 'B' looks smoother to me; 'A' looks more like several segments joined to form the curve. So I will guess that 'A' is filed and 'B' is ground (but that could vary with technique).

Philbert

EDIT: OK , just saw your answer on FaceBook.

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely look like full chisel cutters to me.

The profile curve on 'B' looks smoother to me; 'A' looks more like several segments joined to form the curve. So I will guess that 'A' is filed and 'B' is ground (but that could vary with technique).

Philbert

EDIT: OK , just saw your answer on FaceBook.
LOl, I didn't know how many people were on that Facebook page....I just got on Facebook a few months ago and luckily stumbled onto that page....

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I snapped another pic of the chain so you guys can see the rounded corner of the cutters...it's funny how different picture angles can creat optical illusions...

Oh and as always guys please feel free to critique my chain lol....
IMG_2578.JPG

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys the picture A, I posted was sharpened with my grinder..

The picture B, I posted was handfiled....
You prefer hand filing or grinding?
The white stick you got with your wheels, have you used it yet?

treevet

Lifetime ASite Band
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys the picture A, I posted was sharpened with my grinder..

The picture B, I posted was handfiled....

I guessed A reading the previous page notification first. Hand filing would be much smoother imo because of imperceptible jumping by the grinder. But the machine is obviously used by someone who knows what they are doing. In most cases if someone was doing a lot of chains commercially the wheel would be banged down and show that on the bottom of the movement.

treevet

Lifetime ASite Band
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Also, that raker has been ground without using the tunnel part of the wheel and like you I have found...who cares...as long as the height has been reduced. Otherwise the raker wheels would have a big hollow ground in them and get tossed much quicker.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You prefer hand filing or grinding?
The white stick you got with your wheels, have you used it yet?
Wow, good question, very hard for me to answer honestly....

I had hand filed for ever, until as you know months ago I got the grinder....I am sure you will believe me when I say that I really did put in a lot of effort to learn the grinder.....I also practiced a lot and luckily guys like you, @Moparmyway, @Philbert, @mdavlee, @Sierrawoodsman, and others answered all of my questions and steered me in the right direction!!!!

I really believe that a grinder can turn out a chain that cuts as fast and holds an edge as long as hand-filing....yes, I know that's a big statement....now I am talking about working chains that are for tree guys or firewood, not a chain that you use a stopwatch for....

I wish I could just say one or the other, but for me they both have there particular times were one method will shine over the other!!!!

No sir, I have not used the cleaning stick yet, they still look like they did when i opened the box.....also I don't sharpen as many chains as you do....

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Icepick69 and all you other guys, do you guys feel that if you take your time on a "work" chain, that you can get it to cut as fast and hold an edge as long as a properly hand filed chain???

And you guys know that I am not trying to say one method is better than the other, I like them both!!!

When I really started to get into grinding, this was my goal....I wanted to be able to sharpen a chain with the grinder that was just as good as a new chain, or a hand filed chain....hell who wants just an average cuting chain anyway LOL!!!!

I meant to say @Icepick69 the first time LOL

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway here is a .325 Oregon semi-chisel chain I did for a buddy today.....

The first pic is grinder, the second pic is a hand filed cutter.....comments, questions, concerns, opinions all welcome!!!!
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Icepick69 and all you other guys, do you guys feel that if you take your time on a "work" chain, that you can get it to cut as fast and hold an edge as long as a properly hand filed chain???

And you guys know that I am not trying to say one method is better than the other, I like them both!!!

When I really started to get into grinding, this was my goal....I wanted to be able to sharpen a chain with the grinder that was just as good as a new chain, or a hand filed chain....hell who wants just an average cuting chain anyway LOL!!!!

I meant to say @Icepick69 the first time LOL
What angle do you have your base vise at now? The vise that holds the chain? From your pictures yesterday, looks like you took some out.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"A grinder is only as good as the -nut behind the wheel"

Having said that I'm still yet to catch some of the Jedi master square filers on here.

Here's one I did for a buddy of mine the other day. Before and after
4200e8965f4ac316c64e37940b3abd55.jpg

a69e26c8ddc5d8fef01846759f9178dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Having said that I'm still yet to catch some of the Jedi master square filers on here.

DANG THATS DAN

Icepick69

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

DANG THATS DANGEROUS