Can you guess what did this?

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to say anti freeze got in since it's milky and used to happen on my chevy v8 when one of the two head gaskets failed and you get that milky crap under the valve cover and no oil pressure as more and more coolant mixes w/ the oil. Once time when one side failed I would start cold w/ 40 lbs oil pressure and once I go to work it would be down towards 5 lbs I would shut it off and let it cool off and oil thicken til I could get home and take the heads off for new gasket and get all of the milky crud out of the engine... I sure don't miss that. Saws much smaller, cheaper, and simpler to deal with!

I wouldn't have guessed looking at the picture w/o reading the rest of the thread -- once someone said what is that milky stuff and your picture of the lower half I immediately thought anti freeze in oil.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't even pay any mind to the milky stuff,thought it was blowby. The scores on that piston looked nearly identical to the scores on an undersized piston I took out of my 757 Shindaiwa.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have to measure the slugs. One was reused and is known good OEM slug. The other came used and they are NLA. There were no other options so they got installed without checking clearance. When I took it apart they seemed to have more clearance than I would expect.

Size is stamped on the top.
IMG_20170102_220538054.jpg

Not sure what the cause of the leak is. I suspect the base gasket where the flow comes up through the transfers. The head has Orings and none are pinched or show a leak path. Base gasket didn't show any obvious leak paths either. I do know the reassembly process from the manual was not followed properly last time and that could explain the coolant leak.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No cracks in the jug or liner?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No cracks in the jug or liner?
None that I could see. It's worth a second look with a magnifier though. The one cylinder did have a hot seize from a defective piston. Transfer was cleaned and cylinder was reused.

Assembly procedure has you set the cylinders on the case, snug the head bolts and exhaust manifold to help locate the cylinders then snug the cylinder bolts, take the head off, torque the cylinder and reinstall the head. That was not followed last assembly and is believed to be the cause of the leak.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it has an ELKO cast piston on one side and a Wiseco forged on the other...with how differently forged and cast pistons weigh and react to heat, I would never consider mixing them.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It looks like it has an ELKO cast piston on one side and a Wiseco forged on the other...with how differently forged and cast pistons weigh and react to heat, I would never consider mixing them.
There were no other options, its that or park the sled at the time. The ELKO is an OEM and the Wiseco was a known good one before they re-engineered their product for that motor. The re-engineered piston they produced after that installed one had an error in the manufacturing process code and caused all the pistons to expand too much and hot seize. I had two of their pistons do it in 2 brand new cylinders that had the required clearances. There was another snowmobile forum member that had 4 do it and there were 2 other members that all had the same results with them. Wiseco finally admitted the error they made and said they changed them. Im not sure I believe them because they did not rev the part number like they did between the one I have installed vs the ones that seized. They comp'ed us all a set of pistons but were left with wrecked cylinders. I cleaned one cylinder up and have it installed. The other new cylinder was cracked near the transfer bridge. *f-word Wiseco., Im still pissed at them.
Later we learned Polaris changed the part number but kept the part the same and used it in a sled 2 generations newer.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
check the cyl heads for warpage. had a few sea-doo-doos do the same thing... o-rings looked fine but when it got up to temp it would start drinking from the cooling sys..(lake water)

i nick-named wiseco "seize-co".... had a few in a row that would cold seize before they ever got to temp.... Polaris 2-stk 400l, polaris watercraft, and a yamaha watercraft... all about 15 yrs ago though

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, plan to check the head for flatness.

Good old seizeco.

I was in it 3 sessions ago. Got it back together and ride the season until I busted a drive shaft. Session after that I didn't ride much but went through both clutches. Last year I didn't ride at all. Pulled it out this year and had no coolant in the resivour. Pulled into the garage and took it apart. It must have been burning a little without me knowing in the previous seasons.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I avoid Wisecos at all costs when building bikes. I would rather put in a Pro-X or Athena cast piston.

Check out Pro-X, by the way- they make LOTS of pistons. You may be pleasantly surprised. They are great.