Bunch of random pics of cutters

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
is there metal hanging out off the top plate?
Yes, I file inside out and that's the chrome that hasn't broken off completely. I just drag a small piece of wood over the edge when I'm finished and it flakes off.

If you go out side in it leaves a better finish but I just find it more natural to do it this way

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you got it to make a flag with a file, thats impressive

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully this might help someone when starting out with square.

The first pic is the side plate when filed with a Pferd 1250 DKT 175 hexagonal file.

Second is with a Vallorbe hexagonal file.

Both are the same design but have a different overall diameter. The Pferd is smaller overall but has a larger flat section that forms the side plate angle. The Pferd fits better in more chains and has a less aggressive cut than the Vallorbe.

The finished results with both are less photogenic than a double bevel file, it's just not as pretty but I think they are more effective.

Learning to use one is a up hill struggle. If your starting out use a double bevel at first.

1000001715.jpg1000001713.jpg

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This tooth is done with a Vallorbe single bevel file. Much like the more common double but the side of the file only has "/ \" compared to the
"< >" Side profile.

These types of file shape the side plate much further down compared to the triangle / hexagonal / 3 square filed, or what ever they are called now.
1000001716.jpg

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sharpened on my Silvey RSII. Touch of a beak but it sure does cut nice. Won’t stay real sharp for very long but good enough for who it’s for.
View attachment 416645
when i get a tiny beak like that i run it too....i have lots of chain when it dulls i just change it.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you guys ever seen this video from Vallorbe?

Around the 1:50 mark they are leaving a beak and the kept the top plate angle at around 25 degrees.

I'm guessing a chain like this will dull rapidly but I'm all for trying new things so I'm giving it a go.

Feels really weird deliberately going low.

1000001723.jpg
1000001724.jpg

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im sure that will dull super fast. there is no corner support with that much beak. the corner side of that cutter will get worn out in one or two cuts i bet.

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im sure that will dull super fast. there is no corner support with that much beak. the corner side of that cutter will get worn out in one or two cuts i bet.
Thas my best guess as well but I have some spare time and a chain so I'll try it for my self and see what happens. Part of me thinks it might work based off the amount of hook some people get away with on some round file chains.

Best I can measure this is around 50-55 of side plate angle. It's difficult because it's so small it hard to get a good reading on

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i tried for quite a while to measure the inside angles of a square cutter. getting something in there to take actual measurements is not possible with the tools i have. i tried a digital app and was able to get some approximations. but my smallest hand tools gave me the best numbers. however its really hard to get the correct numbers because they are based off the drive link or the the bottom of the cutter which is hard to use as a guide for the actual angles.