Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Folks.
for reasons I'm not going to go into, I stopped posting on here for a while but I'm free of those shackles (and people) now so will start putting up some build posts for a bit of fun.

I have a really nice and vary interesting late flat top 066 transition saw on the bench at the moment for a full rebuild and porting so will keep this post updated as I go.
Covid-19 has badly slowed down parts supply here in Australia but I'm told parts ore on the way.

Its gunna be a fun build.

Stay tuned

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, the saw has been stripped and cleaned.
It was beautiful on the outside and filthy underneath as usual.
The saw is a late flat top with a decomp and plastic 066 badge.
It also has short cases but with the later large crank and pilot flywheel.
I have seen one other saw like this.
It also had a coil I have never seen before. A 3 screw 1128 1309 coil.
WJ 51 carb
A really nice MAHLE thick base cylinder with decomp and not the best timing I’ve seen so it is getting a 288 piston upgrade.

No Neil.... it won’t be seen in your “Arena”.... like it’s the coliseum or some f*#ken thing

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Muffler has been cleaned up, baffle removed, New flywheel side deflector made and braised on.
Front outlet closed off bar a couple small vent holes.
I find this helps build rpm with a wide power band
In my book big front openings are bad

5BDD4DC8-E11A-40FB-85DE-73EEDD6C56D4.jpeg

90DF3DA9-2C9D-4909-B65F-76469D3A776C.jpeg

FA18B438-09DB-435E-A618-A4169BC1EA7F.jpeg

The owner had already opened this right up.
I'm actually thinking of closing it off some .

5E2C2FDB-3369-4E59-A592-7780CF88EBEB.jpeg

0503F92E-000C-4AB7-A7B4-F01F2E1B0F07.jpeg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great to see you back posting, but I have a question for you. That baffle looks different than any I have seen before, is it factory or was it modified?

The ones here mostly have holes in the sides and bottom but not in the front.

On ported saws I remove the baffle, but on stock cylinders I have found they often run better with just a 1/2" hole drilled through the front of the baffle, which seems a lot like what you have there.

I appreciate your comments on the muffler mods, I think too many people just think more is always better, but in my experience that does not seem to be the case. IMO, some saws loose torque with too much muffler mod, and others stop gaining power and just burn more fuel and get louder.

But there seems to be no "universal" answer, and I think a lot depends on the porting.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Folks.
for reasons I'm not going to go into, I stopped posting on here for a while but I'm free of those shackles (and people) now so will start putting up some build posts for a bit of fun.

I have a really nice and vary interesting late flat top 066 transition saw on the bench at the moment for a full rebuild and porting so will keep this post updated as I go.
Covid-19 has badly slowed down parts supply here in Australia but I'm told parts ore on the way.

Its gunna be a fun build.

Stay tuned
It’s great to see you back!! Was wondering where you went to. You always had great info to share...just as this thread!!

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great to see you back posting, but I have a question for you. That baffle looks different than any I have seen before, is it factory or was it modified?

The ones here mostly have holes in the sides and bottom but not in the front.

On ported saws I remove the baffle, but on stock cylinders I have found they often run better with just a 1/2" hole drilled through the front of the baffle, which seems a lot like what you have there.

I appreciate your comments on the muffler mods, I think too many people just think more is always better, but in my experience that does not seem to be the case. IMO, some saws loose torque with too much muffler mod, and others stop gaining power and just burn more fuel and get louder.

But there seems to be no "universal" answer, and I think a lot depends on the porting.
Yes it had been modified by the saw owner to get it breathing better.
And yes, totally agree that muffler mods need to be matched to the saws porting with consideration made to intended use for general work, racing or a mix of the 2.

I don’t like big openings at the front of the can any more. Not in our hardwood where wider power band is needed.