Beat-Up Saw - Worth It?

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s an MS 201T for sale in my area for $250 USD. Looks beat up tho, no?

Attachments

• IMG_2202.png
    IMG_2202.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2201.png
    IMG_2201.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 38

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it runs, its a steal.... doesnt particularly look too terrible to me... looks better than the 201 i just put a top end in for my buddy, gotta remember a 201 is a pro saw... they get beat around in the back of trucks a lot more than a homeowner saw

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What he said,, tree co saws get banged around and dropped,,, so ya they look beat.
If it runs good a good deal,,,

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas I will check it out if it's still available. I know a couple good (okay, "decent" based on the kind of wizards we have on this forum) saw mechanics that can help if it's got big issues - but it's advertised as “starts and runs great” so I’m hopeful!

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw is on hold for me until the vendor & I can find a time to meet that works. I’m gonna take it if it even starts!

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one thing you gotta worry about is the coil/kill switch wires where they come out of the case & into the handle. if its been dropped a lot or etc, the wires break off. but its an easy fix.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one thing you gotta worry about is the coil/kill switch wires where they come out of the case & into the handle. if its been dropped a lot or etc, the wires break off. but its an easy fix.
I wouldnt even worry about it myself... its a $25 harness and about 45 min of time (for your first time) hardest part is puyting the throttle linkage back together 🤣

I do about 20 a year of them at the stihl shop i work at...

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hardest part is putting the throttle linkage back together

yea you ain't F'n kiddin. personally, I hate working on top handle saws. talk about 10 lbs of *s-word in a 5 lbs bag.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay picked this saw up today for $250. Starts & runs great - I can see why ppl love these things.

Def beat up tho - tell me if u see anything that MUST be repaired before doing much cutting with it.

Thanks!
IMG_2210.jpegIMG_2209.jpegIMG_2208.jpegIMG_2207.jpegIMG_2206.jpeg

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn’t look to bad at all imo. I’ve seen much worse looking.
Only thing off hand I’m noticing is that the top handle is leaning slightly to the flywheel side.
Maybe have a close look at the rear AV mount and make sure it’s in good condition and the screws are tight.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only thing off hand I’m noticing is that the top handle is leaning slightly to the flywheel side.
Maybe have a close look at the rear AV mount and make sure it’s in good condition and the screws are tight.
Thanks!!

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check the right rear mount,,, between the saw and handle,, it may be broken

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the right rear mount,,, between the saw and handle,, it may be broken
Okay - will do.

I want this thing to run right and TBH I do not have the expertise to do anything beyond basic repairs. Like, I can do a good job sharpening the chain but I wouldn't go too much further.

Options:

(1) take it to my local dealer and have him go through and spruce things up; might be a part or 2 that needs replacing. Good guy; recently made me a killer deal on a MS 261. I feel like I'll be treated fairly. I think this 201T is going to be a great addition to my collection so why not have it working right?

(2) take it to another small engine guy I know who has a good reputation for doing solid work. OTOH, the one job he has done for me (repairing my Dad's very old Poulan 3700) resulted in a saw that basically does not start. I feel like he might be cheaper than my Stihl dealer, but I know the Stihl dealer will get me back a saw where everything is as it should be.

(3) send it away to someone in Canada on this forum to be spruced up. Same idea as taking it to the local dealer - it will be done right.

What's my best option?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Option 4, try working on it yourself.

My only two comments, why the grinding on the front of the case, and mebbe the missing chunk on the side of the filter lid will cause your filter to plug up quicker. Been a minute since I fiddled with a 201, though, so it might be isolated from the filter and just cosmetic damage.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Option 4, try working on it yourself.

My only two comments, why the grinding on the front of the case, and mebbe the missing chunk on the side of the filter lid will cause your filter to plug up quicker. Been a minute since I fiddled with a 201, though, so it might be isolated from the filter and just cosmetic damage.
Def think that filter lid needs replacing; why take the risk. I had the saw apart just a little bit; to me it's apparent the darn thing was either on fire at some point or was rescued from some sort of fire.

I could try working on it myself but not my strong suit. I'm a believer in comparative advantage, and small engine mechanics ain't mine!

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a first generation 201t. It will benefit from a muffler mod, timing advance and carb limiter delete. It doesn’t look that beat up for a production climbing saw. Definitely get a new filter cover. Also pull the clutch cover off and shoot a picture of that. The plastics under the clutch often get chain rashed and melted. Once that happens the chain slings oil back onto the muffler, where it burns and speeds up the clogging of the cylinder fins. They’re easy to replace and cheap.
That worn spot on the front of the case appears to have been sanded with some sort of power tool. Maybe it’s a patch or maybe just sanding down a rough spot. Potentially a problem but if you don’t have leaks ignore it.
The front AV spring on the PTO side is stretched. Probably from someone trying to yank the saw out of a pinch. Replace that.

It’s possible that saw has been dropped. The muffler doesn’t appear to be aligned with the hole in the cover. That’s the classic way that they land and the muffler bends up towards the spark plug. A bent muffler isn’t necessarily a problem but it can mean more damage inside.

You can take it to someone and have them give it a once over, but it will add significantly to your purchase price. There are real operating benefits to knowing what’s inside your saw, even if it just helps you keep it clean.

The V1 201t is a bit of a slug without mods but it’s a tank. You won’t regret your purchase.

Last edited:

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a first generation 201t. It will benefit from a muffler mod, timing advance and carb limiter delete. It doesn’t look that beat up for a production climbing saw. Definitely get a new filter cover. Also pull the clutch cover off and shoot a picture of that. The plastics under the clutch often get chain rashed and melted. Once that happens the chain slings oil back onto the muffler, where it burns and speeds up the clogging of the cylinder fins. They’re easy to replace and cheap.
That worn spot on the front of the case is probably from riding in a truck against other tools.
The front AV spring on the PTO side is stretched. Probably from someone trying to yank the saw out of a pinch. Replace that.

It’s possible that saw has been dropped. The muffler doesn’t appear to be aligned with the hole in the cover. That’s the classic way that they land and the muffler bends up towards the spark plug. A bent muffler isn’t necessarily a problem but it can mean more damage inside.

You can take it to someone and have them give it a once over, but it will add significantly to your purchase price. There are real operating benefits to knowing what’s inside your saw, even if it just helps you keep it clean.

The V1 201t is a bit of a slug without mods but it’s a tank. You won’t regret your purchase.
Thanks a bunch!! You’re right; won’t hurt to learn more about the saw by doing mods. Should I be just taking it one mod at a time? What’s the best place to buy replacement parts online?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl is a pain for parts. Ebay is usually best. Your dealer is often cheaper for in-stock parts. They usually charge a lot for shipping on special order.