444 SE oiler adjustment?

LCJaymes

New OPE Member
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older Husqvarna 444 SE that runs well ( missing chain brake lever and was beat up a little) and I am looking for the oiler adjustment procedure. I saw a chart indicating the oiler is automatic/adjustable. I do not see an adjustment screw in the current models location.

Thanks in advance!

HiOctane

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The adjustment screw is on the "face" of the pump on the left top corner. Its a plastic screw that you turn ,got 4 positions of adjustment.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@LCJaymes - Small Clymer service manual says there are different cam screws for the oiler output. Cam screw is available from the manufacturer in three color-coded sizes, A white cam screw indicates minimum oil output, a plain cam screw indicates standard oil output while a green cam screw indicates maximum oil output.

Attachments

• 40 44 444 sm.pdf
    732.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The adjustment screw is on the "face" of the pump on the left top corner. Its a plastic screw that you turn ,got 4 positions of adjustment.
I've never seen a 444 pump like that. This sounds like the pump on the 272 family.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@LCJaymes - Page 31 in the Husqvarna service manual shows the cam screw

Attachments

• 40 44 340 344 444 sm.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 2

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is an eccentric on the face of the splined pump shaft. Where the cam screws contacts this face determines the 'throw' of the pump shaft which controls the amount of oil pumped per stroke. The closer to the outer edge of the pump shaft that the cam screw contacts, the greater the throw, and greater the oil flow. Knowing that, if you need a higher oil flow and have a Standard or Low Flow cam screw, you could simply grind off some of the end of the screw to increase the flow. If you want less flow, you need to get a new cam screw or figure out how to increase its length slightly.