MinnWeekendCutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,
I moved to TN last summer and I’m currently without a saw here. I only have a few tress on my property but if one of them decides to fall over in an ice storm, I’ll be quite unprepared. I have a couple saws in MN that I left at my moms house since there is plenty of cutting to be done up there. No easy way to move a chainsaw back and forth that distance so I’m looking at getting something for here (suburb of Memphis). I’m kicking around perhaps an Echo CS-4910 after some reading on here. It wouldn’t see much use but some storm clean up here and there.

I have considered a battery saw as I have a decent number of Makita batteries but that would leave me with another draw on my generator if we lose a tree in an ice storm when power is out.

I’d like to stay under 350 bucks, I’ll look for used options but in the past I’ve not had good luck with finding anything used in local area that was a better value than new (people wanted almost new prices for their worn out saw). Will keep stalking the for sale section on here.

Before his passing my dad bought a Husqvarna 235E and 435 which are still NIB at my moms place. I could buy either of those for a pretty reasonable price I’m sure (would probably have to convince her to let me actually pay her).

I have to assume a good part of this is just me living somewhere apart from my saws, lol. Logically I don’t need one here but I don’t like being without a saw in a place that gets ice as well as powerful thunderstorms/tornados.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could probably find an XL-12 or Pro Mac 10-10 for 100.00$ in good running condition. Heck even the venerable Poulan 3400 is a great saw with antivibe and could be easily found for 100.00.
So many good classics out there that maybe you wouldn't use even day but a butt load better than anything in your price range currently.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 340/345/350 for used or Echo 4910 new. Both are cheap and make good power, can pull a .325 20” bar fine in hardwood and weigh very little. I wouldn’t be messing with anything vintage if you ever plan to use the thing.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another vote for the 4910

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna 340/345/350 for used or Echo 4910 new. Both are cheap and make good power, can pull a .325 20” bar fine in hardwood and weigh very little. I wouldn’t be messing with anything vintage if you ever plan to use the thing.

I cut firewood and felled trees for 2 years with just my pm10-10 and PM700, never had a lick of trouble and they are super simple to work on.
They are heavy compared to new offerings though , but 30 and 40 years of service is not really an arguable point.

MinnWeekendCutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the advice and ideas. I’ll keep scanning the for sale section here and perhaps also Craigslist/FB Marketplace since the ice storm here. I’m sure there must be some people that bought a saw just for storm cleanup. I’m leaning toward just grabbing a new Echo from Bruce.

@Matt Ellerbee No time for a project saw unfortunately; I barely have the free time to use my saws a little and keep them sharp.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen new or gently used Husky 455’s on marketplace here lately for $200. Almost bought it just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd vote for a used Pro saw over a new home owner saw as it's going to need serviced sooner or later and the Pro saw is at least worth having some repairs done, vs the home owner that generally is not.
No matter what kind of saw you buy, have a plan ahead of time on how you plan on storing it. This will mean the difference between it running or not the next time you need it and is the biggest issue with home owners saws.
A battery saw may be the best option going, with some pretty good units out there to be had. Get an extra battery or two so you have at least one to run and one to charge. A good one of these is going to get into your pocket book pretty good. I think you'd rather it hurt now than later when a cheapo model won't cut the mustard.
Good luck.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The very reputable builders/porters may have good stock saws around from projects where customers walked away. You would be amazed what you can find in your price range from these very reputable folks.

MinnWeekendCutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas.

To clarify: I'm just a homeowner that has become a bit of a saw enthusiast, I used to live 15 miles from my childhood home where my mom still lives. Over 10 acres of woods there, bordering the entire home/lawn area. In the last five years of my dad's life it really took a turn for worse as far as outdoor maintenance. 10" dbh maple growing through frame of an old semi tractor that was leaking diesel fuel onto the ground, etc. I bought my 550 and 572 to help clean up all of that. Last summer I moved to TN for work and since most of the people in my family like warmer weather (not me). I can get myself back and forth pretty easily on flights due to work benefits but I can't bring chainsaws with me. So if I grab one of my saws from Minnesota and bring it down here to be ready for a storm, I'd have fewer options up there where I actually use them on a somewhat regular basis.

I could grab the NIB from maybe 6 years ago Husqvarna 235E or 435 and keep in the box here just as a backup. Pair that with a corded electric saw? Use the electric unless power is out? I don't know how long a new saw in the box can be stored before rubber deteriorates enough to not function.

I’m looking pretty closely at the battery saw option. I plan to rent the Makita 36V and see how it like it since I have eight or more batteries and a few chargers. (My wife loves her 18v subcompact drill and impact driver!)

If going gas powered I would prefer a good condition used pro saw. Heck, if I could swing the extra money I'd just buy another 550 or perhaps an MS400 but that seems pretty silly since it will mostly just sit waiting. I was looking at the Echo 4910 since it was in my price point for this task and would be worth fixing if it broke (I think?)

Battery or corded electric seems to be the most sensible option but I don't know if my generator (Honda EU2000) will run say the Makita UC4051 of UC3551. I don't want anything to do with the cheapo low quality corded saws but I wouldn't want to be out of luck if the power is out. Down here in SW TN the ice storms take out power at the same time as the trees.

Does anyone know if the Makita 4051 or similar will run off the little Honda 2000? I'll try to rent one perhaps but that's a pretty specific item to find at a rental place.

Thanks again for all the input.

Last edited:

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m 20 mins north of you in Millington. If you need something big cut let me know, I’ll bring the ported 661 or 044 over and lend a hand - no charge. I do a good bit of climbing and cutting in my job, and as you can imagine we’re QUITE busy after that last storm.

If you want an old saw for a quick easy project, I have an 026 that needs a top end we can discuss. Or an 084. Or an 066. Or a 201T. Or…

I’m in the middle of figuring out the timing changes I want to make on the climbing saw I’m porting now (an Echo 355T) so I clearly understand your passion for saws. Lol

If you buy new, I’d suggest a 261 if you have the scratch…. or an Echo 490 or 590 if you don’t.

Then bring that saw over sometime so we can port it. :devil:

Last edited: