Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
very very interesting... I like the handle...wouldn't have thought of that.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've pulled a few 394 flywheels and not a one of them was easy. I ended up using a 3-jawed puller (very carefully placed) and just burping an impact on the pusher bolt. After that a smack or two with a hammer, repeat until the flywheel pops...literally.

As to the screw, might be worth a shot to try Matttyo's method then if that doesn't work drill the head.

I use the steering wheel puller set-up.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The gear that came with this kit, it was $12.99 at O'Reilly's, except for the bearing separator in the upper right of the picture- that was an Ebay buy for $11. The long metric studs and bar nuts on the lower left came out of my fastener bin. I've done any saw that has threaded holes in the flywheel with this set-up and many clutches on older saws as well. I've even used this to pull crankshafts out of 562s with the long 4mm studs. They screw into the XPG magnet structure mounts on the flywheel side of the case.

Last edited:

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neato. ...this gives me ideas :)

Another homemade video..love it. Well, it ended well. I tried splitting the case again but it just wouldn't budge from the bottomhole. So I got out the drill with the pressure on it and proceeded to drill the screw again. 5 seconds later I heard that familiar "pop" and wallah.... It was in two pieces. If I could only find that piece that came off the case maybe I could JB weld it. And surprise... Look what I found in the oil tank...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For stubborn flywheels I take the starter pawls out and use a harmonic balancer puller. For bolts I just mig weld short allen heads bolts to 5/16 or 3/8 all thread.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ive seen a few that was tight but i dont like to force using a screwdriver under the flywheel

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The screwdriver under the flywheel isn't for leverage. You'll never get it that way...and likely you'll break stuff along the way. Just gotta hold the thing up in the air....and knock the flywheel nut....sometimes with heat and PB blaster

3ft! Pop!! Wow....yeah. .some get really stuck on there. Glad you had the right tool to get it off.