trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
10:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got this 394 that I basically stripped. It, however, has 2 issues, 1 big and 1 small. The big issue is a crankcase bolt has a stripped head. Tried putting the 4mm down there and it doesn't grab tight. Tried pounding some different sizes down in there to hopefully get something to bite on it and it didnt work. What do I have to do to get that bolt out? Drill it? But then I'm afraid of going in to the case. This is the first time thats happened to me. The small issue is the flywheel. Tried holding it up and banging on a nut a little bit off the flywheel and it wouldnt budge. Anybody got another idea? Thanks.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tom I have a new style stihl puller you could use for the flywheel some guys use heat to get the flywheel off

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the flywheel, I just pulled one off of a 288, had to use an air hammer on the center of the crank. Those larger Husky flywheels are on there good.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok... wait....be careful heating the flywheel, you put a torch to it you can damage the springs on the pawls

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pull the pawls off first, use an impact to remove the nut, then get the flywheel nut flush...ish... with the crank.

get some PB blaster down in there... let it sit.... LIGHT taps with a hammer on the nut initially. hit it 10 times or so.... easy.

THEN.... get the heat on it. lift the whole saw up by the flywheel... with a big screwdriver or flat bar... lift by where the magnet is...for bulk. then hit it with the hammer, not super hard, just multiple times. it'll come. might take a while

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
to get the case bolt out, use an Alden pro grabbit screw extractor...

these have worked pretty well for me....

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've pulled a few 394 flywheels and not a one of them was easy. I ended up using a 3-jawed puller (very carefully placed) and just burping an impact on the pusher bolt. After that a smack or two with a hammer, repeat until the flywheel pops...literally.

As to the screw, might be worth a shot to try Matttyo's method then if that doesn't work drill the head.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I'll try Mary's method and then try to drill it. This will be the second bolt I had to drill on this sucker if I have to do it. On this one I just don't want to get in the case....

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate spell check...Matt's method. You think with a simple word like that...oh, gold on...Matt is a foreign word to this Japanese guy that created this keyboard!

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a 395 that was damn near impossible to get the flywheel off before. On the bolt though........just drill the head off. Once you pull the case apart, you'll be able to get the rest of it out.

I think my 394's flywheel made you put your big boy pants on too, didnt it?