huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 346 I just ported is missing the tank vent. I see a couple options in different ipl's. Are the tanks the same to where the updated plastic vent and hose can be used rather than the old 2 piece screen and sintered filter?

Screenshot_20190813-000042_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20190813-000429_Samsung Internet.jpg

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never had a problem using the ne vent with the spigot on 351 and 346oes. I think the tank moulding is carry over.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any self-respecting northern man uses an
external air box vent.

That is what you really needed to hear..
lol.

My buddy use to just apoxy the vent hole and drill on a slight forward angle on the right side through the top plate and tank in one shot. Keep the hole snug and cut the line on a ridiculous angle and grease 'er up.
You can feed it by just undoing the back mounts. Just make the air box plate hole a bit bigger. You could put a rubber grommet in or silicon or leave it. Brad did a thread a few yrs ago asking about a 'one-way' inexpensive vent for that purpose. It was a little echo vent that they decided on. He said bags were inexpensive.

Another thing that goes a long ways that Walker's have done since the inboard clutch and that is put a pop rivet through the clutch cover with a thick nylon washer.
If a chain throw kicked off the clip then you can keep on going. I have noticed the clip was gone at the end of the day.

I always slightly peen (crease) the bolt slots of the muffler with a screwdriver on the outside so you can't lose a bolt. You can hear one sloshing back and forth so it considerably lowers the chances of cracking out your muffler. Of course it's all expense and downtime.

Simple things that go a along long long long ways.

An air box vent is such a thing of beauty

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On my NE Jim used an Echo vent and routed it out to where it’s easy to get to.

See it on the right side. I think it’s a tree monkey trick.

View attachment 194855

Nice clean job. He has it tucked under the gas line. I use to use quality vented caps that had a valve and didn't leak but they outlawed them in Canada about 2009-10.
That's when my builder started with the external vents. First one was an expensive Stihl vent. Quite bulky too.
They where in some saw models before then, apparently.

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a big 34620180509_125001.jpgi use the echo style on most anything
No issue's
They just plain work
Had problems with the sintered bastards over the year's.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just had a bare hole. I ordered the new style vent just to be able to gut it and fit the hole. Also a few of the echo style to attach to it
I gotcha now.
Right. I didn't know what the new style was. OR better said ..I wasn't remembering what the old style was.

That IPL on top just shows the stones.
I though it had a white pill with the stones but No line attachment? Or was that early 357?

yeah! A long drill bit and a roll of line, 5 min approx & a good supply of those echo vents. The only thing you have to match is the bit to the line ..once!
It must be like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle at times otherwise.
If you have an old tank that is broke or about anything plastic that holds liquid
( for that matter) you can size up a drill bit. I can't remember the size bit Jonny used but they never had leak issues storing on it's side.

Also a few of the echo style to attach to it
What, you putting in a splitter?? Or you mean you are trying a few different styles?
Maybe you could get in the Guinness Book of Word Records. Get a couple manifolds going on each side.

The most vents and still snap the cap on first try. The saw has to start & rev correctly. I probably shouldn't be talking like that on this site.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Genuine Echo? OEM?
On edit. I see from China.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotcha now.
Right. I didn't know what the new style was. OR better said ..I wasn't remembering what the old style was.

That IPL on top just shows the stones.
I though it had a white pill with the stones but No line attachment? Or was that early 357?

yeah! A long drill bit and a roll of line, 5 min approx & a good supply of those echo vents. The only thing you have to match is the bit to the line ..once!
It must be like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle at times otherwise.
If you have an old tank that is broke or about anything plastic that holds liquid
( for that matter) you can size up a drill bit. I can't remember the size bit Jonny used but they never had leak issues storing on it's side.

What, you putting in a splitter?? Or you mean you are trying a few different styles?
Maybe you could get in the Guinness Book of Word Records. Get a couple manifolds going on each side.

The most vents and still snap the cap on first try. The saw has to start & rev correctly. I probably shouldn't be talking like that on this site.
The old style will let pressure out. I kinda like the idea of pressure in the tank helping get fuel to the carb. The new ones can have a habit of plugging up, or at least not allowing enough air in to the tank. I figured I'd have the best of both worlds by using both

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The old style will let pressure out. I kinda like the idea of pressure in the tank helping get fuel to the carb. The new ones can have a habit of plugging up, or at least not allowing enough air in to the tank. I figured I'd have the best of both worlds by using both
Bare....
Hole....
Best of both worlds!