254XP Rebuild

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are building the 262 I have a tank I will send you.

View attachment 103497 View attachment 103498 View attachment 103499

It is off of a 55, can be used on a 262, need to use 257 mounts.
Thanks Joe, but I won’t be building that one up for a little while. I have to let my bank account cool off from the 254 and I’m going to build my 281 before I get to the 262 also. When I get started on it I’ll get in contact with you if you still have it.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hell, that cylinder is VERY saveable, we definitely have brought worse back to good running order.

And yes, it is nice to have a good relationship with our local dealer. That shop has been in the biz for nearly 40 years so he has a pretty good pile of parts and always has alot of new goodies in stock and on display to ogle. Plus, it doesn't hurt that they are only 10 miles away.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Easiest is sand then clear coat , with fusion plastic clear ...hardest is sand finer and finer , then polish with a buffer ....

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...
I thought you soaked 'em in corn liquor first, or was that to drink while sanding the plastics?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easiest is sand then clear coat , with fusion plastic clear ...hardest is sand finer and finer , then polish with a buffer ....

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...
I’ve used fusion plastic paint before and I was impressed. It’s still stuck on the air box of my old 350X. I applied it about 15 years ago now. I think I’ll go that route, my top cover is Stained pretty deep so it’s not just the oxidation that needs to come off.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to my dealer and ordered all my parts, I saved about $20 going through him. Thanks for reminding me @RIDE-RED 350r . The only part I’m still hunting for is the heat deflector, they are NLA. Can another deflector be trimmed to fit??? I searched feverishly for the 257 that was there last week and I’ll be damned if it wasn’t gone. Grabbed this basket case 262XP instead, I was just going to buy the flywheel off of it but for what I paid ya’ll would’ve brought the whole thing home too.
View attachment 103388

What you have there is a real good score. Beyond what you need for the 254, the 262 top cover is golden. All of the top covers for this chassis are NLA. (yeah, Dustin got the last 257 cover............that Husky has. :) )

Of the 3 saws in this family, the 254 is the best supported at the moment. There are still a small number of OEM 254 top ends available. Nothing left on the 257 or 262, other than pistons. And the fact that there are a few parts that are shared with the 51/55 also helps. (Top handle, muffler, fuel tank.)

Looking at the carcass in the pic, 262 fuel tanks are NLA, but a 51/55 tank can be used along with 254/257 mounts. So............it does appear that a 262 build is in your future like Steve says.

And another big plus I see in that pic there are those carb bolts sitting on that carcass! Those sleeved carb bolts are used on the 254/257/262 AND on the whole 242 family, and they are NLA. The 262 intake blocks are still available and I have a drawer full of them, so yes a 262 build thread is now expected here after you complete the 254. :)

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What you have there is a real good score. Beyond what you need for the 254, the 262 top cover is golden. All of the top covers for this chassis are NLA. (yeah, Dustin got the last 257 cover............that Husky has. :) )

Of the 3 saws in this family, the 254 is the best supported at the moment. There are still a small number of OEM 254 top ends available. Nothing left on the 257 or 262, other than pistons. And the fact that there are a few parts that are shared with the 51/55 also helps. (Top handle, muffler, fuel tank.)

Looking at the carcass in the pic, 262 fuel tanks are NLA, but a 51/55 tank can be used along with 254/257 mounts. So............it does appear that a 262 build is in your future like Steve says.

And another big plus I see in that pic there are those carb bolts sitting on that carcass! Those sleeved carb bolts are used on the 254/257/262 AND on the whole 242 family, and they are NLA. The 262 intake blocks are still available and I have a drawer full of them, so yes a 262 build thread is now expected here after you complete the 254. :)
And there’s your arm twisting paid back @XP_Slinger lol

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mocked up the 262 top cover and it’s only 3/8” taller than the 254 cover. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s just tall enough that my knuckle hits the cover if I rotate my hand. Another thing I noticed was I would need the 262 intake partition because the cover isn’t shaped the same in that area. Could probably trim the 262 cover to make it fit the 254 partition but I don’t like hacking stuff up if I don’t have to. I’ll definitely use the 262 cover, just won’t be right away. Sorry Joe, @Onan18 I’ll be keeping it. Mainly for when I build that 262:rolleyes:
View attachment 103494

Josh, the seal collars need to be matched to the intake blocks. The 262 collar only really fits the 262 block and the 254/257 collar and block also belong together. I think it's all still available.

I know your dealer and he's pretty good, but you and Joe might want to take a ride down here some time. :)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for the info Bob. I was also happy to see those special carb screws still on the chassis, I learned how valuable they are in your Saw college video on this series of saw. Thanks for reaffirming that my idea for using the 262 cover on the 254 was stupid. Sometimes “pretty” parts cause me to consider doing things that shouldn’t be done and that was one of them.

I’m looking forward to building the 262, one of those saws that have a following like the 288. What’s your opinion on the KS cylinder I have? I learned from another member that they’re less common than Mahle and are desirable to have. I noticed it doesn’t have any cylinder skirt protruding into the crank case which is unique compared to what I’m used to seeing. Is there a performance difference between the two brands?

Joe and I definitely need to take a trip to your shop. I have a feeling it would be like going to a new Gun shop in that we would leave feeling like we should’ve bought more stuff and dealt with the consequences later. Lol!

You don’t happen to have a 254 heat shield in a drawer down there do you? It’s the only part I’m lacking to get that little bugger up and running again. If I can’t find one I’ll try to fit one from a 257 or a 55.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if I have any 254 deflectors or not, but don't sweat it. It's not a big deal to have it on there anyway. Those plates weren't on most of the 200 series saws until halfway or so through the models runs. So, there's plenty of saws that never had them at all.

I can't say if the KS cylinder is better or not. Or with and without the deco is another one. Sometimes stuff just gets labeled better because it's less common.

Couple things on that 254 if you are still hunting parts. There were some differences on the starter side between the early saws and the later saws with the air injection. The left side of the crankcase was actually different, along with the air conductor. But the early "small decal" starter used a different pulley that the later "large decal" starter which is deeper. Either starter works on any saw, but you can't mix the internal parts.

I think 254's run better with .325, which is how I have mine set up. Not saying 3/8 is bad, (and don't want to ignite that debate here), but I like 'em with .325. But the small spline drum is NLA from Husky. Not sure if Oregon still has one or not. So, if a drum needs to be replaced then 3/8 might be the only option for a guy.

You guys KNOW we are going to have to have a 200 series fest at Walt's when the weather breaks, right? :)

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if I have any 254 deflectors or not, but don't sweat it. It's not a big deal to have it on there anyway. Those plates weren't on most of the 200 series saws until halfway or so through the models runs. So, there's plenty of saws that never had them at all.

I can't say if the KS cylinder is better or not. Or with and without the deco is another one. Sometimes stuff just gets labeled better because it's less common.

Couple things on that 254 if you are still hunting parts. There were some differences on the starter side between the early saws and the later saws with the air injection. The left side of the crankcase was actually different, along with the air conductor. But the early "small decal" starter used a different pulley that the later "large decal" starter which is deeper. Either starter works on any saw, but you can't mix the internal parts.

I think 254's run better with .325, which is how I have mine set up. Not saying 3/8 is bad, (and don't want to ignite that debate here), but I like 'em with .325. But the small spline drum is NLA from Husky. Not sure if Oregon still has one or not. So, if a drum needs to be replaced then 3/8 might be the only option for a guy.

You guys KNOW we are going to have to have a 200 series fest at Walt's when the weather breaks, right? :)
Again thanks for providing some more info. You won’t spark a chain debate with me, I’m pretty indifferent when it comes to pitch on smaller saws. My saw has a very lightly used .325 drum and rim on it so I’m going to stick with it.

I ASSumed the deflector was an essential part due to its role of directing air from the flywheel around the front of the cylinder. Interesting to learn that it wasn’t always there.

My crank case is the intermediate type as described by Walt. I have the air injection stuff with the metal seal carrier on the flywheel side. To me it seems like the best of both worlds configuration.

I would have a blast at a 2-series themed gathering. I’m sure you and Walt have quite the stash of them. Looking forward to a break in the weather, -20 isn’t a good temp for anything fun.