Very Nice! Love the setup.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's badass. I like that its in the case. I would have taken it out. Were you using the clutch as a heat sink to protect the seal? Or was it just a time frame thing to leave it in. Did you change the seals after welding.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's badass. I like that its in the case. I would have taken it out. Were you using the clutch as a heat sink to protect the seal? Or was it just a time frame thing to leave it in. Did you change the seals after welding.
I have fixed a couple chips on the ends of crankshafts before. Nothing to the extent of what Scott just did. Left the clutch on and cut a hole in a piece of sheet metal to fit over the crank and protect the saw. I gas welded rather than mig it so I could be a little bit more precise. I imagine tig would be the best option. Either way, the clutch was enough of a heat sink where it didn’t make it to the seal

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have fixed a couple chips on the ends of crankshafts before. Nothing to the extent of what Scott just did. Left the clutch on and cut a hole in a piece of sheet metal to fit over the crank and protect the saw. I gas welded rather than mig it so I could be a little bit more precise. I imagine tig would be the best option. Either way, the clutch was enough of a heat sink where it didn’t make it to the seal

Not being a smart ass know it all. But guys really need to watch where you are grounding the crank before sticking a weld on it. Good possibly of ruining the bearings if you ground accidentally ground the case. Have had it happen to guys welding skegs back on lowers. Accidentally grounded the input or prop shaft and oops...... Don't spin so nice anymore. That little arc looming for ground plays hell with bearings....

But kick azz repair on this one.

Steven

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not being a smart ass know it all. But guys really need to watch where you are grounding the crank before sticking a weld on it. Good possibly of ruining the bearings if you ground accidentally ground the case. Have had it happen to guys welding skegs back on lowers. Accidentally grounded the input or prop shaft and oops...... Don't spin so nice anymore. That little arc looming for ground plays hell with bearings....

But kick azz repair on this one.

Steven
The other beauty of oxy/ace lol.

If I were using electric, I would ground it right to the flywheel fins

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got two of those there 088 stihls like new in the shop, both broke the crank at the clutch threads. It's like 400 plus for a new crank, I wonder if it would be worth pulling a crank and rewelding/ machining and truing it?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got two of those there 088 stihls like new in the shop, both broke the crank at the clutch threads. It's like 400 plus for a new crank, I wonder if it would be worth pulling a crank and rewelding/ machining and truing it?

I don’t think it would be strong enough

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t see how much of your crank end was buggered up but:

In place of the customary ‘E’ clip one can drill & tap the crank end for a fine thread machine screw. Preferably LH.

Just fire up the saw and use your drillmotor as a bit holder.