Spark Plug Repair Tool - Game Changer

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the threads are stripped though, this tool isn't going to be able make new threads? It looks like it's a good repair for threads that are somewhat bunged up and have still have some meat that can be straightened out.
You’re spot on. it’s not a tap, just a chaser. It’s a great tool, but there are instances where you will have to use inserts, absolutely.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back taps are only used to straighten out the first thread or two if someone screws them up by cross threading and such.

If you have the cylinder off the saw most have enough room to use a tap backwards starting at the chamber side. I've welded only the first 3 threads before and used the last few threads this way to create the new threads.

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just used one of these exact same back taps for the first time on a 359 that had the first couple threads crossed. Worked great! I'd recommend it for sure. Much easier than using a standard tap or thread chaser.

If the existing threads are too far gone to save, I have had good luck with the SAV-A THREAD # 5334-14 helicoil type system. Almost foolproof way to add an insert:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just used one of these exact same back taps for the first time on a 359 that had the first couple threads crossed. Worked great! I'd recommend it for sure. Much easier than using a standard tap or thread chaser.

If the existing threads are too far gone to save, I have had good luck with the SAV-A THREAD # 5334-14 helicoil type system. Almost foolproof way to add an insert:

You wouldn't believe the number of cylinders I've fixed with that have had improperly installed or failed SAV-A-THREAD inserts, so I'd say they are far from foolproof.

Gvsu141

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You wouldn't believe the number of cylinders I've fixed with that have had improperly installed or failed SAV-A-THREAD inserts, so I'd say they are far from foolproof.
Fair point. They are harder to mess up than other methods at least!