Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a 066 Cross Topend in a tree trimmers 660

Well he got a monthes worth of cutting untill it hung a ring in the exhaust port
801dcb47a3e7550d7a13cbd3b9ec1411.jpg
ea94c199a9c283c41da67969286b7fa1.jpg

I got to think how to progress ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bummer dude. Bevel on that exhaust roof looks good, it must be pretty flat eh?

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The two I have are pretty flat on the exhaust roof, sort of a well documented issue with these.
There's been some concensus that it should be ok being that they're not excessively wide (and making sure there's a good bevel) but...
I don't plan on running them like that and this certainly reinforces that sentiment...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would have tappered the bevel up 0.010 in the center third of the port roof. It helps rig wear. It moves timing slightly. 1* maybe.

The floor is too flat in the center. Checking with a ring in sight is best.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't that piston damage indicative of the lower ring hanging on the FLOOR of the exhaust port, not the roof?

I did not like the way my floor felt to the touch, so I sanded the crap out of it with 220 grit. Have about 8-10 tanks through it, mostly milling, with no issues so far. Hopefully, it continues to hold up.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In regards to the above post, we determine port timing from the TOP of the PISTON not the top ring. Yes, if you shave a 'bevel' into the top of the ring with some very fine sand paper, there will be a slight venting down earlier than before, but there isn't much clearance between the piston and cylinder to make it a big deal.

I'd rather have the extra reliability of a smoothly closing ring than some negligible increase in power. I smooth the top of the edge of the ring a bit more in the center of the ring - to give it the same closing speed as a properly shaped closing port.

As far as ring wear, how many thousands of ring wear occur over a ring's life? - You don't need much 'bevel' on the ring to make it work.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't that piston damage indicative of the lower ring hanging on the FLOOR of the exhaust port, not the roof?

You'd think so but the whole lower portion of the piston on the way up is going to be a lot harder to shear off than the just the top above the ring.
Could have caught the ring on the way up, levering the ring up against the top, then the dislodged bits really hang up on the way back down.

I can't imagine the crazy dynamics going on in there when something goes wrong at 10k rpm...