064 flywheel/coil question.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 064 that ran good but had a idle problem, found air leak clutch side seal. Tore it down put new bearing, seals, P&C. Set squish @ .024. First start it pulls hard, figured compressoin is more than before it fires on 4th pull. Idles for a min. or so stalls on restart it tries to rip the recoil out of my hand, kicks back about half way through the pull of the recoil. Got it running again try adjusting carb it dosen't want to idle. So I pull carb and muffler do a press/vac. test just to check passes. Got to thinking about timing issue because of it kicking back.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the coil and flywheel that were on it. It ran good before the rebuild no kick back while starting, only had a problem idling down when tipped bar down.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went through the carb last night got it back together started ok but still pulled hard and if you don't catch it right will try and rip your arm out of socket. It was idling better turned to grab a screw driver and it makes a pop / back fire and quit. Sounds like timing to me so I pull the flywheel and it sheared the key off.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any ideas? Coil / flywheel miss match?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the ide prob is or was down to the oil seal ? Did you take the flywheel off and not put it on properly? I’ve done it , twice once the key sheered the othe it chewed the fly wheel.

The carb may have been adjusted to compensate for the air leak, that’s why your getting a kick/more compression
Check and set the carb to std settings

I did notice your flywheel has a p & b marking but only one key way, you need the part # of the flywheel and coil an check that sticky, but something tells me you only had a tick over prob so a miss Match is unlikely

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The idle problem from before was from leak. It dosen't idle well now but it has no leaks. I pulled the flywheel to check the alignment/key after the first starting because of the kickback, just to check it. It looked good so I reinstalled it.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are no #'s on the coil that I can see.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It did run good before with the flywheel and coil combo. I am however not sure if the flywheel was aligned with the keyway when I took it off before I did the overhaul. Could have been installed /aligned off the key way before, because the key that was in it was filed down so I put a new one in it when I put it back together.

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok next question what do I need to get? Different flywheel? Or can I index the one I have?

421sd

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I'll give it a try thanks for the help!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh, I,m glad that the boss has stepped in and said you basically lined it up wrong.

I hope you know what to do now ? ;)

Edit: it took a few q's to get a few answers, so now you knowhow it was before you took it apart, with out looking too close at the time

I can see a fixed saw running good very soon

Cheers. :)

Last edited:

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Line the keyway up with the "B"
It's a single keyway 1204. They are always limited....he will need a 1201a or a dual keyway 1203 or 1204

Or have you broach one, lol
b889b380a8575035e59856f67d319ca0.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh, I,m glad that the boss has stepped in and said you basically lined it up wrong.

I hope you know what to do now ? ;)

Edit: it took a few q's to get a few answers, so now you knowhow it was before you took it apart, with out looking too close at the time

I can see a fixed saw running good very soon

Cheers. :)

He'll have to sorta guess at the "B", but, with a little luck....dot dot dot