044 project

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha ha! Yeah I guess we all stand 'em up vertical......I like as much help as I can get, and try to hold 'em in line as well with the drivers. Especially if you've got to juggle the lower spacer as well on a hybrid!!

If one works on enough Stihl saws a set of dedicated alignment pins come in very handy, they are really difficult to make, just cut the head off a common 3.5 inch framing nail, some need a little bit of grinding against the bench grinder but very little. I have a set in every tool box/drawer and they make muffler assembly work almost easy.

wyksta

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So come on Brad, what's your opinion on running with those heat shields? Don't be shy! :p

Yeah, imagine how helpful it might have been had he actually gave some helpful advice instead of some contempt?

On my work bench, I would place something to lift up the front end of the saw a bit, then use just enough blue loctite to make all the parts stick to themselves so it all goes together as one piece.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, imagine how helpful it might have been had he actually gave some helpful advice instead of some contempt?
Oh come on now. I'm just having a bit of fun.

I just put both screw through and have my driver in the right hole first. I start it and then the other.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In other news today.....

It's true - I'm addicted to hybrid builds now. I bought another 044 last night!!!

Briefly: it's a runner, apparently a good one, a 12mm w/p already, so I won't have to grind the cases this time.

I ain't gonna touch it till next summer I don't think.....too pi$$ing cold in my w/shop for starters!

I'm toying with the idea of one of those 54mm MS460 BB kits (hyway?) this time. So I guess I'll probably start pestering people in the next few months as I start to get itchy....

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post a pic, just to tease the new hybrid build to come :p:D

If not, us peeps here know where to find them :risas3:

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ive heard from porters that the exhaust port is actually factory machined to exhaust to the left.i would assume thisis for the reason for not using ylthe heat sheild on early models.i know neither of my 044s have the heat sheild.i also know that if you use sheild it gos in order of sheild gasket then muffler.try it on 064 036 with spacer its sheild spacer gasket gasket hen muffler now thats tricky.a Also as far as grinding case to fit my 046 cylinder my porter ground cylinder and turned flywheel down to fit the 52 mm cylinder on 044 case.i have pics if needed

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Post a pic, just to tease the new hybrid build to come :p:D

If not, us peeps here know where to find them :risas3:
I dunno, the things I do.....

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

it's machine no 138133165.

And it come in at 260 squid + 20 postage.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yo, that did degenerate didn't it?

Still I got lots of good tips with the pricing. But I'm still unsure what to do with it!
Mmmmm i thought you were keeping it now lol.