STIHL 034 Super vs 038 Super?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've come across a pretty crazy, (if not shadydeal) on both a 034 Super & 038 Super.
Both for $275 or $175 each.
I know that the 038 Super is 66cc's vs 61 cc's for the 034Super, yet I can't nail down anything solid on the weight difference.
Who has both of these saws, owned them or has some good insight?
I have a ported MS660...so I'm looking for a nice "in-between saw" that can still do heavy running and sawing without me chewing up a jaw full of pain meds @ the end of the day!
The guy is a friend of a friend and doesn't seem hard up for money and told me to let him know something within 48 hours else he's gonna donate them to the Salvation Army!!:eek::rolleyes:

Seems like a decent enough feller, although there's something a tad goofy about him, maybe its the way he just kinda stares @ me without ever blinking & while sporting a pouty mouth!!:nono::facepalm::naughty2::(
Kinda puts me in the mind of Fetus from Gunsmoke!:chuck:

Which saw would you go for?
Chime In Studs!
Reg

Last edited:

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the jug the only difference from 034 super and not super? Just curious.
I've had a 034 for years, been a great work horse.
Compression getting light but that thing has defiantly earned its keep.
Most scared up saw I have owned.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the jug the only difference from 034 super and not super? Just curious.
I've had a 034 for years, been a great work horse.
Compression getting light but that thing has defiantly earned its keep.
Most scared up saw I have owned.
That and a side chain tensioner.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Either one takes modifications well if that's what you have in mind .
Yes, I definitely plan on maxing out the mods on either one!
I'm surprised nobody voted or talked much about the merits of the 038 Super!
Seemed like if it was ported right :greedy: it wouldn't be far off the heels of a stock 038 Mag or an 044...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the variations of the 038 I own 2 mags and one av.I don't ever recall seeing a super ,ever .The av and one of the mags are juiced up and they do very well That model is one of my favorites in the Stihl line up .Everybody has a favorite no matter what brand they have so it's just talk .
From my perspective ,not that I'm the greatest at this , my av is almost on a par with a bone stock 038 mag .The mag has ran neck and neck with a bone stock MS 660 bucking big stuff .Maybe I just got lucky but that's a fact .
Now all this rambling on is just my perspective and some feel the same way with say the 044/440 if talking about Stihls and older models . Again everybody has a favorite so it's in the eyes of the beholder .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't get me wrong ,nothing wrong with the 034 .I had one a tree service had abused ,whipped it like rented mule ,freebie .Gave it a new lease on life using the parts from a pile of Stihl parts I had on hand with an o36 top end after market piston and Caber rings .I only used it about 15 minutes then a bud of mine borrowed it for about a month because he had his whole fleet of saws stolen and had none on hand for his tree service
Then Kevin ( Cut for fun ) and I made a trade it got sold I think several times over the years but in that time had cut a lot of wood .so much for that .
I now have an 034 super that runs but needs some parts that is on my to-do list ,when ever that is going to be .When ever that is I'll more than likely add a can of soup and see how that turns out .

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I messed with my 034 beatnik this winter.
The rings were a little stuck, and ring gap was 1/8"
showing flame marks on piston.
Waiting for a dealer part and anxious to see how it does.
It's the small jug older model.