I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is this still here?
It must be because people don’t realize how awesome these are ported. I have a Makita version that was done up by Stump Shot…it has gobs of torque…imagine this one 4 sail is no exception.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you should give this saw a chance, Jeff.

It's not rocket science.

It is tricky to get some rpm limited saws right. Most people will tend to err on the side of caution. And that can make the saw seem like a turd. On the 7900, and the 6100, I use a tach to find the exact point where the coil begins to bust up the ignition. At that point the tach starts bouncing around. Then, I lean it out a little bit further. Once I have it like that, I take it to the wood, and see how it behaves. It should clean right up under load, and four stroke as the pressure is being lifted. It helps to have the tach mounted while you are cutting so you can verify that you are hearing a four stroke and not the coil cutting out the ignition. The 7910 with the lower rpm limit is even trickier.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
It is tricky to get some rpm limited saws right. Most people will tend to err on the side of caution. And that can make the saw seem like a turd. On the 7900, and the 6100, I use a tach to find the exact point where the coil begins to bust up the ignition. At that point the tach starts bouncing around. Then, I lean it out a little bit further. Once I have it like that, I take it to the wood, and see how it behaves. It should clean right up under load, and four stroke as the pressure is being lifted. It helps to have the tach mounted while you are cutting so you can verify that you are hearing a four stroke and not the coil cutting out the ignition. The 7910 with the lower rpm limit is even trickier.
A tach is a great tool on these limited coils. Once you train your ear to tell the difference between a 4 stroke blubber and the coil limiting the ignition it gets fairly easy to tune these in the field without the tach.

if I didn’t already have 2 of these I’d absolutely buy this one. My xs7910 is my favorite work saw bar none!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A tach is a great tool on these limited coils. Once you train your ear to tell the difference between a 4 stroke blubber and the coil limiting the ignition it gets fairly easy to tune these in the field without the tach.

if I didn’t already have 2 of these I’d absolutely buy this one. My xs7910 is my favorite work saw bar none!

After many years of building houses, and a dozen years of building saws.....I'm pretty damn deaf. Thank God for the wireless tachometer.