Worst case of mag rot ever.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's enough to make me start storing all my saws on short pegs or a pair of 1 x 1 hardwood slats. Gasp!

Last edited:

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn’t palm sap do that if not rinsed?
I think it does, but I’ve only read and seen pictures of it. I have personal experience with the concrete damage.

hardhat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crap. I’ve had mine sitting on concrete for years. Maybe the protective layer of sawdust and oil have prevented this. I absolutely get it though and will put down some rubber matting where they sit.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it does, but I’ve only read and seen pictures of it. I have personal experience with the concrete damage.
Do you live in a Humid area? Close to a body of water?
I't's dry here and there are no issues of saws on concrete.
Just wondering on what conditions would cause that.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is a thread on exactly that floating around here. I was thinking about it this morning. I’ve always kept my saws up off the ground. When I lived in Central Florida the bottom edges of my rider mower deck started to get fuzzy and in places actually split from the corrosion. It wasn’t even touching the floor. It was kept inside the garage. I have left a busted Husqvarna 372 crank case laying on my concrete garage floor now for two years and it’s not corroding. ??? Now I live in N. Georgia. While I have my own ideas about what’s going on, I don’t know for sure.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a chemical reaction caused by one component of Portland cement .The blue clay slurry contains alumina a couple of valance electrons away from aluminum that causes it, the concrete eating away at anything with aluminum in it .Chainsaws are not the only thing that can get gobbled up because over time it can get window cases , screen doors etc .Stihl for one used E coat to try to prevent this which from my observation has worked .The older saws such as my avatar saw ,a 2100S Homelite do get messed up .Fact on that one I had to repair the front of the oil tank with JB Weld .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen worse...and this was mostly aluminum not magnesium.

20200225_140004.jpg

20200212_163117.jpg

20200212_170549.jpg

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aluminum ,mag and zink are known as "sacrificing " metals .Not only does the reaction with concrete eat it up but also dissimilar metals plays a big part in it .Cathodic protection such what is used on pipe lines ,under ground storage tanks etc is a study and a science all it's own .It finds it's way into simple things like small engines . I'll just mention it but not go into detail because it could over load the server .