High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

working on other builders saws

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
end of page four. good read so far and I'm just going to spit it out as I read so...

How much of a difference is the bottom? The top would cause velocity change but shouldn't cause it to pool.
LOL aaaah wrong. It will cause the fuel to fall out of suspension quicker than that last goose you hit at fifty feet with No#4 high brass. The one you blew the feathers off, remember? Nuf said.

Definitely would cause an impedance in air/fuel flow
Ya think??

There's plenty of meat on the intake boot lip to take a grinder to it to make it a smooth transition.
Eww...

My main question is, if the saw never ran right, why did the owner keep running it? I took a build off saw to a gtg for another member one time because he couldn't be there himself. The saw acquired an air leak which I promptly confirmed with several other people there and the saw was put away so it couldn't be damaged. Easy peasy. The second thing I learned about chainsaws was how to tune by ear. I know that's not always an option, but most of the time, it's hard to beat the ole ears.
Ears don't lie.
Most people probable think a ported anything runs that much different and they except bad qualities and dismiss the apparent problem (s)

No worries, I know you have a penchant for typing without thinking. ;)
Hey Tom good to hear you as always.

I see the jug area under the intake port being too narrow for full skirt support. If the builder didn't chamfer those edges well, they would rub the skirt bottom and rub it up, potentially. I personally woulda left those just past the skirt. I'm not for increased performance at the expense of longevity in a work saw.

I'm not sure how the boot being smaller than the port would cause idle issues other than poor vacuum signal. If the boot was larger I could understand it pooling at the transition. I personally try to keep the intake opening matched or just a tad larger than the boot opening.

I guess, conceivably, there could be a dead spot where fuel could wet the area where no flow is occurring.

I'm all ears for an explanation if you don't mind.

Edit: Looked again. It appears that there's actually a male extension of the boot into the jug? Is that a fig newton of my imagination?
I see, me too. Me neither. Just the opposite as you thought. A bit smaller here is better. The factory knew that. Velocity will increase causing better mixing. When the velocity is gone it's gone and fuel falls out and clumps up. The bigger the motor the better chance of hydraulic lock up. That also beats the piss out of the piston with wet side loading. Your stuff is just fine ;-), no worries. Explained to the best my feeble mind can conjure up today.

I agree that the opening to the intake should not have been opened up like that. However, I would not expect that to create pooled fuel. Both gravity and flow/velocity, should prevent that. I would only expect pooling if the cylinder were smaller than the intake boot, the opposite of what you have here. I suspect that if this cylinder is repaired and a new piston installed, that the idle issue will be resolved elsewhere, perhaps even in the tune.
Swimming pools of fuel is what that will create. Gravity ain't got a damn thing to do with it. Again, not so, trust me there.

I see more wrong than has been mentioned thus far to the bottom of page four. I see an intake port that is just not very good in the cross section or at entry to the jug. To wide too much kills flow as Tree Monkey and other would agree I'm sure. The transitions in the port walls are inverted and that will enhance all the problems mentioned here.

I'm hoping it gets better. Somebody will be pissed at me and I don't care. They should take it as a lesson learned or not.
Moving on

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Another page and another bruised rib lmao!

I've worked on some porters saws 6 months after being done. All I can say is I know who wont ever get me to say yeah use this guy or guys.
Priceless info I'm sure!

1 question:
Are you feeling ok?
You don't look well at all.

Yes and no.
If you drive a dodge for instance, you could feasibly burn less fuel over a given 50 miles than a Ford.
As the Ford will be burning fuel for about an hour, and the Dodge will have been being towed at least 30 of those miles.

View attachment 62340
He's good fresh as a Daisy :rolleyes:
"If you drive" That makes more sense than that intake port IMO, witch ain't worth a spit

Wouldnt happened if it was Red!!!:eek::D
True maybe?

Idk...backwards its Driver Returns On Foot
Yes

Next...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What I said was it would take a long time for the average wood cutter to put 50 hours on a saw but a logger or whoever that runs a saw all day doing whatever that may be will put 50 hours in much less time.
As stated before,it can take longer to cut a tree into firewood than to fall and top,im not saying that it don't,itmmm saying a logger will put 50 hours on a saw in a month or less and a weekend firewood cutters might put 50 on one In several years.
Nothing to do with one saw burning more gas than the other, I'm talking about time frame.
He sucked you right in. He Hee

this should get interesting....
Nutaa

Who brought the marshmallows?
:facepalm: I forgot again...

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here we meet again.

Well now you've opened up a whole other can of corn.
Cause it can be hot a bit, but a whole lot hotter if you'd just cover up your wood pile.

To tarp, or not to tarp...
Definitely a philosophical cat

I see you been out fire-wooding again.

Approximately how many hours of run time is that
quite enough

I'm no tarpologist. But if your goal us to keep the logs wet why use a tarp?
?View attachment 62347
You jest you know you are the best tarpologist around. Don't be shy.
It keeps the moisture in, agreed?

Another learning experience heats up.
Thank You

That's the best reply in this thread. I do it the same way myself. I've been inside modified saws from around 20 different builders, and most were good but a few were not. I just fix 'em and move on. I don't talk about it other than what the owner needs to know.
Yes

Next

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
this thread is not meant to bash anyone. we learn from our mistakes, but we can also learn from others mistakes as well.
agreed

View attachment 62376

if you look close at this pic, you can see the plating is wore off the center bottom of the intake port.
I missed that. Thought it was a shadow.

View attachment 62377

View attachment 62378

the reason the ring is stuck, no squish clearance.
Say it ain't so, PLEASE...

That's not good !! :eek::eek::eek:
It will be fine. Pistons pound in and wear down, right?
That is just not funny in any way shape or form.
Welcome to what ugly looks like. All you guys who think you suck at grinding would never build a saw like this, sad very sad indeed.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Treemonkey I widened the intake on a 460 like that one time but I sure didnt get 50 hrs but about 15 seconds out of mine!! Lol!! She went dead when I rapped her out to about 14500!!! I sent pictures to Randy and he knew immediately that I slung a ring off in the intake!!