High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Wood splitter hydraulic help

Brbrooks83

OPE Member
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a homemade splitter with a crane. My issue is the splitter is just so slow. It’s almost 40 cycle time. Can any one point me in the right direction on what I need to do to fix it? It’s powered by a Hatz handcrank diesel. Not sure if I have a pump issue or a valve issue or both.Thanks upload_2021-2-22_20-1-25.jpegupload_2021-2-22_20-2-0.jpegupload_2021-2-22_20-1-25.jpegupload_2021-2-22_20-2-0.jpeg

upload_2021-2-22_20-1-25.jpegupload_2021-2-22_20-2-0.jpeg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it has a slow cycle time but still has plenty of splitting power then you have one of two problems.

1. It's a single stage pump and that's how it is or,

2. The high volume side of a dual stage pump is bad.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as your filter on the suction side. Better photos and any identifying mark on hydraulic pump would be helpful.

I second that. Plus any type of crud that could be stuck in fittings or elbows restricting flow. Thats one thing that scares me about second hand hydraulic equipment. You never know how the previous owner took care of lubricating the pump, changed fluids, etc.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Is there a gauge on there anywhere that might give us an indication of pressure? That little diesel may not be spinning that pump fast enough to get the volume you need for a reasonable cycle time. Most 2 stage pumps need to be spinning 2,000-2,500 rpm for max flow.

When you do stroke the cylinder does it move steady or does it move in spurts like there’s cavitation from a suction issue? How is the tank vented? Maybe you’re trying to suck a vacuum on it. Also the vent may allow crud into the tank. Most generally that spin on filter is the return side of things and there might be a coarse suction strainer in the tank where the suction line to the pump is.

How big is the cylinder? Like OD of the barrel? A tiny pump and a big cylinder may have tons of power but be turtle slow.

**edit**. In looking closer at the pics it does appear the way it’s built there is a filter on the suction side. That’s a no no in just about every hydraulic application there is. Pumps aren’t near as efficient pulling oil as they are pushing it. Look at store bought splitters up to large hydraulic excavators, the suction is a straight shot to the pump often fed by gravity or a pressurized system and all filtering is done on return.

If there’s ever a suction issue and a pump is starved for oil or cavitation happens downstream in the system is can do major damage. Not a big deal on splitter but on a large machine it can be stupid expensive!

Last edited: