Wolf Ridge Splitter

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to start working with a timberwolf Alpha 6, but one thing I noticed with the box wedge is how extremely dull it is, I'm talking like at least 1/32-1/16" thick literally flat edge on the least used edges, the middle parts are rounded by now but still quite blunt like a dull pencil.

Do any of you keep your wedges sharp? I would occasionally file the wedge on my dad's 35T TSC splitter, not razor sharp of course, but it would easily chop wood cross grain. I would imagine a sharp edge would greatly help this 19ton push wood through the 5 wedges plus the long horizontal top blade, especially with stringy wood.

My question is, did they make the edge relatively blunt for a reason? For durability? Is there a good reason not to sharpen it?

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do any of you keep your wedges sharp?
I'm using a SuperSplit.
I've filed the top of the wedge corner blunt after occasionally back handing it and pealing some skin. I guess I should be wearing gloves.
The leading edge is factory finish, which is not sharp, but not rounded like a dull pencil either.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to start working with a timberwolf Alpha 6, but one thing I noticed with the box wedge is how extremely dull it is, I'm talking like at least 1/32-1/16" thick literally flat edge on the least used edges, the middle parts are rounded by now but still quite blunt like a dull pencil.

Do any of you keep your wedges sharp? I would occasionally file the wedge on my dad's 35T TSC splitter, not razor sharp of course, but it would easily chop wood cross grain. I would imagine a sharp edge would greatly help this 19ton push wood through the 5 wedges plus the long horizontal top blade, especially with stringy wood.

My question is, did they make the edge relatively blunt for a reason? For durability? Is there a good reason not to sharpen it?

I feel wedges should be very sharp. Mine is made of AR400 steel and was CNC machined due to how hard it is. I have close to 60 hours on it now and there is a slight nick in one spot.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> did they make the edge relatively blunt for a reason?

Because they are probably using a cutting edge from a skid steer bucket, like this piece I bought to make my own box wedge splitter:

Titan Attachments Cutting Edge 60" Bucket Hardened Carbon Steel Unpainted

I am going to put a nice edge on mine.