Rugged Made Splitter

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have one of the Rugged Made splitters? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos on them and they seem well made, but the price seems ridiculously low compared to what others sell their similar models for.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW: Variable stroke restrictor = a plate that gets bolted down to the frame to force the valve to hit 1500 PSI and shut off the return detent. $15

For $5600 I would want a solid W (wide flange) beam, not a fabricated beam, and for $5600 I would seriously start to consider something from Easton Made or another high quality OEM.

It does appear you get the larger tank

But, does it have a sight gauge for level fill and a temperature gauge?

Another source for log splitters:

I bought my Chinesium 37 ton log splitter for $1600 delivered from them and it has been fine. Split maybe 20+ cords so far.

If I had a choice between an axle tank or not an axle tank, I would go with not an axle tank.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW: Variable stroke restrictor = a plate that gets bolted down to the frame to force the valve to hit 1500 PSI and shut off the return detent. $15

For $5600 I would want a solid W (wide flange) beam, not a fabricated beam, and for $5600 I would seriously start to consider something from Easton Made or another high quality OEM.

It does appear you get the larger tank

But, does it have a sight gauge for level fill and a temperature gauge?

Another source for log splitters:

I bought my Chinesium 37 ton log splitter for $1600 delivered from them and it has been fine. Split maybe 20+ cords so far.

If I had a choice between an axle tank or not an axle tank, I would go with not an axle tank.

We are currently running two Co-op specials at work. One older model with a leaking axle tank and one newer one that we bought cheap because the tongue was bent during unloading. They are the same mfg just different brands. We burn a lot of wood to heat the shop at work, check station, and my house. We were just looking a bigger unit with a log lift, but can’t justify the money of a Wolfe Ridge or Eastonmade. I’ve debated building one that we can just move with the forks with a log lift and sorting table, but never seem to find the time to start it, lol.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not just add the Rugged made kit to your current log splitter(s)?
Use it, and if you like it, add it to a bigger splitter.

Log Splitter Log Lift Kit

Some drilling and a valve, and you probably would be all set if you have hoses in stock or can make them.

I just made my log table out of scrap metal (tear drop beams) I had laying around and made a rear support with a drop down wheel for when I put a huge piece of wood on the back when the splitter is not attached to a hitch (currently on a front hitch on my B2), so, it does not flip itself vertical. I can roll a 300-400# round up there for splitting, but, without the leg the rear weight will lift the front jack and wheel off the ground.

I can't use the vertical position on the tank pivot with this setup. But, I have found doing vertical splitting on huge rounds non-productive and a huge hassle. I just noddle the big ones into halves or quarters until they are <100# to put on the splitter or table.

I tend to stack 3-4 rounds on the far table so I can split without so much walking and bending. That is why the beams/bars/slots go the way they are, so, rounds do not roll off when I stack them, but, roll easily to me when I am on the other side of the beam,

if you put a splitter on a metal platform, you could even have heavy duty poly casters on each corner to move it. The dual 1200# 8" poly ones from NT are now about double$ what I paid 2 years ago, but, they are swell for moving things under load (engine hoist) or that literally weigh a ton. This would allow you the option to use an electric winch to flip up the log lift or using a separate 4-5 HP engine just for the table hydraulics when you need it. Without the expensive and hassle of going into the current log splitter's hydraulic system.

A platform moved by a forklift would allow you to build a input table to stack rounds, you could add the log lift to that, and build it high enough to fit a wagon or trailer under or by the splitter so the stuff goes right into what needs to move it instead of having to pick it off the ground.

Personally, for $500, I would buy (10) 375 gallon IBC water totes, throw my firewood in the metal cages, and move those with the forklift. I have already started to convert from my regular firewood sheds to the totes.

Attachments

• firewood_02.jpg
    firewood_02.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 17

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve about decided to just build one similar to the Deetsy has. He sent me pics and told me where he got the valves/pump/etc. Bailey International (large hydraulic supplier) is local to me as well as another spin off company from them. They carry the pump and valves I need to plumb it like his with an auto cycle and dump valve. We have a spot we can do either crushed fines or concrete pad and build a small lean-too shed for a dedicated splitting area. We usually stack outside for a year then put it in one of two sheds. Each one holds roughly 5 chords. The winter was mild this year except for a few weeks so we didn’t burn nearly as much as we usually do.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't use any kind of lift for logs. I noodle them onsite to a size I can load in a truck or trailer and spit them down from there. Just today I was splitting up some noodled sections from a big oak I've been nibbling up. I used to split most of my wood by hand but now the majority of it is done with a hydraulic splitter.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve about decided to just build one similar to the Deetsy has. He sent me pics and told me where he got the valves/pump/etc. Bailey International (large hydraulic supplier) is local to me as well as another spin off company from them. They carry the pump and valves I need to plumb it like his with an auto cycle and dump valve. We have a spot we can do either crushed fines or concrete pad and build a small lean-too shed for a dedicated splitting area. We usually stack outside for a year then put it in one of two sheds. Each one holds roughly 5 chords. The winter was mild this year except for a few weeks so we didn’t burn nearly as much as we usually do.
Please post some build pics and details when you’re done. I have 2/3 of what I need to build my splitter and I’m always interested to see what people come up with.
I don't use any kind of lift for logs. I noodle them onsite to a size I can load in a truck or trailer and spit them down from there. Just today I was splitting up some noodled sections from a big oak I've been nibbling up. I used to split most of my wood by hand but now the majority of it is done with a hydraulic splitter.
I’ve found that a log lift table helps to keep the splitter going without having to reload. I’ll load ten or more logs on and split them before I have to go around again. I’m not against noodling but I was really impressed when I first used our splitter with a lift table.