Willard's vintage Hotsaw Builds

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love how the cut fins turned out. What all did the builder do to this one?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love how the cut fins turned out. What all did the builder do to this one?
Thanks. The cylinder and cases will be painted red and the fin edges will be polished like chrome. The head will have a chrome polish.
I can't share any details of the porting due to the respect of trust between me and my builder.
All I can say is it has major drag race/ hill climb porting.
Installed custom decompression valve in head.

Horse power will be good but manageable with no violent hit in the lower end of the powerband. This is my top fuel dragster :cool:

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please take a video of you pull starting it for the first time! That will be fun.

joking aside, that will be a fun one.
I got a 5 inch diameter rope spool pulley coming out of Quebec.
If you look close at the tiny decompressor hole in the combustion chamber in above pic, my builder says I can drill it out double the size if needed.
If that's not enough he'll install my spare decompressor valve.

I found out over the years a person has amazing strength in pull starting a big saw in the heat of competition in front of a large crowd.... Hahaha ;)

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20221031_111732.jpg

I look back to post #1 of this thread starting almost exactly 3 years ago. Wow we shared alot of information and I started the projects 1 year before that.

I'm in the saw shed at the moment with the heat turned up and thinking of the 6 months of deep snow and -30°- 40°below starting any day now.
But upon looking at my work bench I feel pretty darn good.:)

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has been a great journey up to this point. Most of us couldn't imagine trying to pull start a 250cc saw ( or 500cc!!!) let alone cut with one, so we get to live vicariously through your postings on this thread.

Something I have been wondering but haven't seen mentioned - do you fill the water jackets with anything?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has been a great journey up to this point. Most of us couldn't imagine trying to pull start a 250cc saw ( or 500cc!!!) let alone cut with one, so we get to live vicariously through your postings on this thread.

Something I have been wondering but haven't seen mentioned - do you fill the water jackets with anything?
Chris, I had to Google vicariously, that's a great expressive word to add to my auto correct vocabulary :D
Cutting cookies in competition is entirely different from running a chainsaw felling or bucking up a tree on the ground.
Cold start hotsaw racing takes alot of practice but experience running a chainsaw greatly helps technique.

My daughter and I did this video a few years back of me testing a new loop of Stihl 23RSC .325 chain on my old completely stock 562XP work saw. Filed with a 3/16" file.
Cutting 10"×10" dry spruce on my fold up stage trailer.

Last edited:

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chris, I had to Google vicariously, that's a great expressive word to add to my auto correct vocabulary :D
Cutting cookies in competition is entirely different from running a chainsaw felling or bucking up a tree on the ground.
Cold start hotsaw racing takes alot of practice but experience running a chainsaw greatly helps technique.

My daughter and I did this video a few years back of me testing a new loop of Stihl 23RSC .325 chain on my old completely stock 562XP work saw. Filed with a 3/16" file.
Cutting 10"×10" dry spruce on my fold up stage trailer.

Safety first, Dad!
You make that look pretty easy haha.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Safety first, Dad!
You make that look pretty easy haha.
Chris, thanks. That was from about 6 years ago. My daughter is now in her second year of film studies at a Toronto university. She loves the big city.
I sure miss her any chance I get I fly in for a visit. Toronto is a cool place.

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chris, thanks. That was from about 6 years ago. My daughter is now in her second year of film studies at a Toronto university. She loves the big city.
I sure miss her any chance I get I fly in for a visit. Toronto is a cool place.
Yes I'm sure you do miss her a lot. It's quite an adjustment when they aren't around all the time.

"Trawna" was a great place about 40 years ago. It was thriving and full of life and fun. Now it's just "full" lol.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I'm sure you do miss her a lot. It's quite an adjustment when they aren't around all the time.

"Trawna" was a great place about 40 years ago. It was thriving and full of life and fun. Now it's just "full" lol.
Yup 40 years ago I had the honor of watching the Leafs playing at Maple leaf gardens. Shopped at Sam the record man. Had no problem finding a parking spot anywhere in the city.
Full now is right!

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1980's HOTSAW BARN FIND
20221130_091945.jpg20221130_211148.jpg20221130_152256.jpg

Actually they're saws my old cut and skid logging partner Leo just pulled out of 35 years of storage. He ran them both one afternoon 6 years ago.
The 084 he bought brand new from Madsen's in 1988. Madsen's built the pipe and Leo is not sure what else they did to the saw. This saw has only burned 2 tanks of fuel in its whole life.

The 090 was my first hotsaw I built in 1982 same year I bought brand new from a local Stihl dealer. I never worked it and it too has run only a couple of tanks thru it.
It was originally a 090AV which I switched the handles on Madsen's 10 cube 090. Madsen's built the pipe and did their woods port mod to the piston and lowered the cylinder .020".
I made the intake manifold for the 34mm carb. She ripped in her day before I built the YZ125. I sold the 090 to Leo.
Leo wants me to clean them up and help sell them for him.
A few years ago he lost both legs at the knees after a botched knee surgeries infection. He's 69.

Last edited:

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the Stihl FB page someone was complaining about the "0" series saws and how people were calling them "Ohh 66" and not "zero"66. I commented:

"I said "Ohh" has one syllable and zero has 2, you would have to beat the lazy out of a lot of people to change that."

And that was viewed as encouraging violence.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the Stihl FB page someone was complaining about the "0" series saws and how people were calling them "Ohh 66" and not "zero"66. I commented:

"I said "Ohh" has one syllable and zero has 2, you would have to beat the lazy out of a lot of people to change that."

And that was viewed as encouraging violence.

I posted a video of my son baleing hay. Apparently that is child endangerment. :rolleyes: