Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got any of those 2050s left?
I have 3 or 4 of them, all projects. I kinda like ‘em and they are plastic so I don’t wanna melt them. Also, they aren’t easy to find parts for. I know guys have hoards of 266 chasssis stuff.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hasn't that topic been chewed up, swallowed, digested and shat out dozens of times already? o_O

What are You after?
Finding the minimal ratio the engine will survive, difference in power output,... ?
Just curious. ;)

Not trying to take away from Your threads potential.
I just figure You for a guy that is way to busy playing with oil rather than getting something more important done and off his plate.

My thought on saw choice?
You need to choose a PH that will see a lot of usage in Your application area otherwise You are just postponing any potential results showing.
For example, my most used platform would be the Dolmar/Makita 64/73/79xx and I would most likely go with/set up several PS-6400's.

:beer-toast1:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm you are very right. I am not all that concerned with oil. I do know enough. Back story is my son and I went to a drifting competition and one of the guys was sponsored by a veggie oil lube co. Made me curious and I haven’t found a lot of info online. So before I run it in my ported/work saws, I wanted to test it. You gave me a good idea with your 6421 comment. I think I have the parts to convert one of my 266s back to 61. I don’t think anyone would miss a 61 too much.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything that needs advertising is not worth looking into.
If it is something that genuinely works the "word" will spread faster and further than any advertisement.

Veggie oil in a high performance 2-stroke engine?
It works questionably as bar oil, why should it work 100% properly under even more extreme conditions?! :confused:

But, now that I know what Your interest is I am curious to read what results You will come up with.
Good luck with this endeavour! :)

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm you are very right. I am not all that concerned with oil. I do know enough. Back story is my son and I went to a drifting competition and one of the guys was sponsored by a veggie oil lube co. Made me curious and I haven’t found a lot of info online. So before I run it in my ported/work saws, I wanted to test it. You gave me a good idea with your 6421 comment. I think I have the parts to convert one of my 266s back to 61. I don’t think anyone would miss a 61 too much.
Why would you want to run a new oil that you are iffy about when you know there are great oils out there like dominator and other synthetics. My thoughts are if you are worried about it why risk it? When my cousin raced motorcycles we ran dominator a whole season and never saw any piston wear and only rebuilt once a season for safe keeping. He was sponsored klotz and we ran it one race and it had more wear than entire seasons with dominator. Buying good oil was way cheaper than rebuilding every race. I guess my point is why would you throw money away on a different oil when there are great synthetic oils out there

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
pick one of your saws that is really clean inside and run it in that one so you can have a real good idea of its performance

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So are you going to try to compare wear vs performance on several oils?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to test oils toward the dangerous side. Which saw would be cheap common and simple?
I’m thinking 266.

For strato saw I would go ms362.
Non strato saw I would go echo 590-620.

Both are very common and relatively inexpensive compared to others.

Steven

257roberts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything that needs advertising is not worth looking into.
If it is something that genuinely works the "word" will spread faster and further than any advertisement.

Veggie oil in a high performance 2-stroke engine?
It works questionably as bar oil, why should it work 100% properly under even more extreme conditions?! :confused:

But, now that I know what Your interest is I am curious to read what results You will come up with.
Good luck with this endeavour! :)

Gonna be tough finding saws/oils with no advertising. Maybe super tech?

Biobased oils likely will struggle with shelf life, but it's not clear to me why they would be worse if well developed. They also currently have fairly low Biobased content...at least compared to Biobased bar oils.