Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You fellas here have taught me a bunch about how to make a saw better, especially @drf256 . You may have seen my threads on a couple of mid-80s vintage 024 saws that I've built and ported. Huge appreciation for all the help!

Which of these ported 024's will run stronger, and why? Both have similar widened exhaust/intake ports and muffler mods, following Doc's excellent reference example pictures.

Ported 024 Timing Compare.jpg

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The AVS should be stronger in terms of torque. The AV should rev more and the AVS lug down betterer.

The swept volume from the exhaust roof to the band is slightly more on the 44.7 AVS, but it’s the extra stroke that’s giving it more ass down low.

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut some red oak cookies with these saws yesterday. Both run very strong, throttle up from idle perfectly, and restart instantly.

Timing advance next? Both have stock Woodruff keys.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes on the timing advance. 25-28 off right side of the key as you look at it. Rotate flywheel counterclockwise against a rope stop in the cylinder. Hit the nut with an impact for a blip or two, then let the nut spin the flywheel clockwise without touching the flywheel. Get the torque wrench at this point and torque the nut to 26 ft/lbs.