TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Peltor ear muffs were delivered today.
Perfect fit for me, but I don't see how a man could possible wear these, any tighter and they'd pinch my head off.
They work great, so far as I can tell right now... I put them on in the house and I can barely hear my clothes dryer running.
Going to try them out with the sawsall tomorrow.
:cool:

The Pro For Sho muffs should be here tomorrow.
Also ordered a sample pack and a couple of other reusable plugs from https://www.earplugstore.com/
They shipped out today.

Btw, I think I may have discovered what was causing my tinnitus - ASPIRIN!
My doctor told me to take the low dose every day after I got covid last Jan.
I stopped taking it two days ago and the tinnitus seems to be letting up somewhat... still too early to say for sure though. Keeping my fingers crossed that's all it is, since, supposedly, it is reversible once the aspirin is stopped.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Pro For Sho muffs arrived today - and were returned today... they REEKED of smoke.
Thankfully, the ebay return process went smoothly and I've already received my refund, including shipping and they paid for return shipping.

I did a comparison between these and the Peltors and fired up the sawsall.
Peltor wins. Also tried them both out in front of my noisy fridge. Peltor wins, again.
They were close, and I liked that the PFS muffs are lighter and have a smaller profile. They were kind of awkward to get on and off though.
I definitely would have kept them if not for the stink.
I really like the Peltors. Glad I bought them.

Waiting on the ear plug sampler...
:cool:

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ear muffs always caused pain because I wear glasses. The only ear plugs that I can wear all day long is corded E-A-Rsoft plugs by 3M. Any others hurt my canal. I had to wear hearing protection for 12 hours every day before I retired. Still use them today.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ear muffs always caused pain because I wear glasses. The only ear plugs that I can wear all day long is corded E-A-Rsoft plugs by 3M. Any others hurt my canal. I had to wear hearing protection for 12 hours every day before I retired. Still use them today.
I noticed that when I tried to put them on over my glasses. Ouch. I found a trick that's pain-free though, instead of putting the frame over my ear, I raised them and inserted them under the headband , just above my ear. Nice and snug, no difference in vision either. Might not work with a heavier frame though, like plastic safety glasses.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed that when I tried to put them on over my glasses. Ouch. I found a trick that's pain-free though, instead of putting the frame over my ear, I raised them and inserted them under the headband , just above my ear. Nice and snug, no difference in vision either. Might not work with a heavier frame though, like plastic safety glasses.
I also need my glasses for reading. Changing the pitch changes everything.

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loud band events degraded some hearing, however Stress (repeated, work related) did more damage that you might want to believe.
This! I developed tinnitus in my early twenties doing tree work and it left shortly after quitting my job. Over 10 years later, still an arborist, and no tinnitus (for now…). Always hearing protection at work, I also use the huge 31(?) db 3m ones at home and in the shop, look like mickey mouse but they are so quiet.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This! I developed tinnitus in my early twenties doing tree work and it left shortly after quitting my job. Over 10 years later, still an arborist, and no tinnitus (for now…). Always hearing protection at work, I also use the huge 31(?) db 3m ones at home and in the shop, look like mickey mouse but they are so quiet.
Just ordered a pair of the 31 DB hearing protectors from Peltor I didn't know they made them.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered a pair of the 31 DB hearing protectors from Peltor I didn't know they made them.
Which ones did you get?
Mine are the 27db, H7A and they work really well. I haven't tried them combined with the plugs, but that's what I'll do for mowing.
You should love the 31db.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which ones did you get?
Mine are the 27db, H7A and they work really well. I haven't tried them combined with the plugs, but that's what I'll do for mowing.
You should love the 31db.

3M PELTOR X5A Over-the-Head Ear Muffs, Noise Protection, NRR 31 dB, Construc​

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Foam style, comfy - I use these
IMG_20230320_113433~2.jpg

Rubber style with cord, these make my ear canal itch, but reusable/washable
IMG_20230320_113447~2.jpg

Also got some orange colored rubber style corded ones featuring a vent hole, alas those too make my ear canal itch.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Foam style, comfy - I use these
View attachment 370076

Rubber style with cord, these make my ear canal itch, but reusable/washable
View attachment 370077

Also got some orange colored rubber style corded ones featuring a vent hole, alas those too make my ear canal itch.
Yeah, you have to be careful having something stuck in your ears for extended periods of time - it can cause ear infections.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Received my assortment pack of reusable plugs yesterday... not impressed
A couple were even painful trying to insert.
The crappiest-looking ones, the 3M "original" little cylinders, actually were the easiest to insert and sealed the best... but the material they're made of looks highly questionable to me, kind of crumbly.
One pack actually stated on the label "carcinogen"
I concur, the expandable foam plugs seem to be the best-fitting.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncle Sam has purchased every style and type of earplugs known to man or beast, for us monkeys here in the aircraft hangars. Most are 3M variations, some good, some just outright suck. I like the 3M Push-Ins w/Grip Rings (318-1009). Pretty comfortable at least for me, but there are other options hanging all over the hangars in ear plug stations. When we run APU/hydraulics and flight control checks, you gotta have ear plugs and ear muffs and sometimes with those two together you don't hardly stand a chance. Of course flight control checks ain't nowhere near as bad as outside engine run-ups...engine runs just pierce your soul, that *s-wordt's soooo loud and takes a different set-up entirely of ear plugs and ear muffs.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncle Sam has purchased every style and type of earplugs known to man or beast, for us monkeys here in the aircraft hangars. Most are 3M variations, some good, some just outright suck. I like the 3M Push-Ins w/Grip Rings (318-1009). Pretty comfortable at least for me, but there are other options hanging all over the hangars in ear plug stations. When we run APU/hydraulics and flight control checks, you gotta have ear plugs and ear muffs and sometimes with those two together you don't hardly stand a chance. Of course flight control checks ain't nowhere near as bad as outside engine run-ups...engine runs just pierce your soul, that *s-wordt's soooo loud and takes a different set-up entirely of ear plugs and ear muffs.
Do you or your buddies have tinnitus?
I think I saw recently that the #1 complaint with the VA is tinnitus, #2 is hearing loss.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you or your buddies have tinnitus?
I think I saw recently that the #1 complaint with the VA is tinnitus, #2 is hearing loss.
I have some tinnitus on occasion but it's not a constant. Def have some hearing loss as well but that's just par for the course from being around jet engines since the mid/late-80's. All flightline workers have to take a hearing/audiology test every year and surprisingly I do pretty good on those...albeit I do more than my fair share of "huh?", "what?" with folks.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some tinnitus on occasion but it's not a constant. Def have some hearing loss as well but that's just par for the course from being around jet engines since the mid/late-80's. All flightline workers have to take a hearing/audiology test every year and surprisingly I do pretty good on those...albeit I do my fair share of "huh?", "what?" with folks.

Some of the "huh"? "What"? That happens depends on background noise for me. That can really mess things up.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the "huh"? "What"? That happens depends on background noise for me. That can really mess things up.
"It's a mumblin' world!"
Lol
For the life of me I can't remember what movie this was from. anyone know?
I sometimes have trouble understanding southerners who talk like they have marbles in their mouth. "What??"
- no offense to the southerners.
lol

I think I remembered - the old man in one of the Madea movies. Lol

Last edited: