• Total voters

Scrappie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find the foam ones mess up my ears if I wear them for more than one day so I prefer muffs. Make sure you install the foam ones correctly: twist the plug to compress it, then reach with your right arm over your head and pull your left ear upwards, then use your left hand to slide it right in and use a finger to hold it in place while it expands to block your ear. Repeat for the other side.

For muffs I really like the 3m Peltor Worktunes Pro. Good sound reduction and includes Bluetooth. I upgraded my helmet to the 3m Peltor 5x5p which have a high NRR rating but I've been disappointed with them. They're hard to get a perfect seal around your ear and if the seal is not perfect they're useless.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find the foam ones mess up my ears if I wear them for more than one day so I prefer muffs. Make sure you install the foam ones correctly: twist the plug to compress it, then reach with your right arm over your head and pull your left ear upwards, then use your left hand to slide it right in and use a finger to hold it in place while it expands to block your ear. Repeat for the other side.

For muffs I really like the 3m Peltor Worktunes Pro. Good sound reduction and includes Bluetooth. I upgraded my helmet to the 3m Peltor 5x5p which have a high NRR rating but I've been disappointed with them. They're hard to get a perfect seal around your ear and if the seal is not perfect they're useless.
Yeah, I pulled up a video yesterday on YT on how to install the foam plugs... I've used them a few times in the past and they didn't work well ... well, that's because I didn't roll them the right way. Now I know better. I also recall the pressure of the plugs made my ears hurt, that's why I got the Howard Leight - the listing said they were good for smaller ear canals. Well, see.

Here's the video I watched (exactly as you described)

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I pulled up a video yesterday on YT on how to install the foam plugs... I've used them a few times in the past and they didn't work well ... well, that's because I didn't roll them the right way. Now I know better. I also recall the pressure of the plugs made my ears hurt, that's why I got the Howard Leight - the listing said they were good for smaller ear canals. Well, see.
Using earplugs daily, I’m now able to install them with one hand, rolled and installed. It takes practice, but can be done. Also, I’ve found that the plugs only put pressure/hurt my ears when they are installed too deep. If my ears start to ache, I just ever so slightly pull them out a touch and that relieves the pressure.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Her thighs squeezing my ears works wonders.
You need one of these
560.jpg

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Pro Fo Sho 34db muffs when i shoot and foam plugs for anything else.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have their ear plugs with the Aware tech. Pretty great to listen to music but most of the time the outside noise is too much for the Aware portion and all you hear is click, click, click of it clipping the sound so I usually shut that function off.
I have their plugs too. They stay at work if needed. They do hurt my ears after a few hours, even after trying all the different sizes of plugs. Guess I got an odd ear hole or something.

Brown8417

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i really like the 3m worktunes bluetooth earmuffs. i find i can have those on while mowing/blowing and listen to music at a lower volume than i need to have it in my truck haha.
Love my worktunes but not with my saws.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. 73.3% of the 15 votes say Yes to having tinnitus.
I thought it might be a lot.

Hopefully, I can nip this in the bud before it gets any worse... I've read some real horror stories on facebook.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Agree. I wear the 3M when mowing and tractor work. Walkers when shooting. Helmet with muffs for chainsaw work. I have tinnitus and whatever you do, wear something.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using earplugs daily, I’m now able to install them with one hand, rolled and installed. It takes practice, but can be done. Also, I’ve found that the plugs only put pressure/hurt my ears when they are installed too deep. If my ears start to ache, I just ever so slightly pull them out a touch and that relieves the pressure.
Same here. It's also easier if the plugs are new. Used plugs also do not block the sound as good.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. It's also easier if the plugs are new. Used plugs also do not block the sound as good.
I have found that it seems like the ear wax itself softens them up after repeated use and then they don’t work as well - usually notice because they expand faster and they get harder to put into my ears.. BUT, a trick another logger taught me was to put used ear plugs into your jeans pocket and run ‘em through the wash - the wax gets cleaned off and they last longer.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found that it seems like the ear wax itself softens them up after repeated use and then they don’t work as well - usually notice because they expand faster and they get harder to put into my ears.. BUT, a trick another logger taught me was to put used ear plugs into your jeans pocket and run ‘em through the wash - the wax gets cleaned off and they last longer.
Every time mine get run through the wash, they will not squish and stay squished. Plus, they get really soft. They do come out nice and clean though! I think its the kind I use now. I have had pairs that you could wash and it worked fine afterwords.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have weird ear canals and I’ve tried several ear pro options. Foamies drive me crazy and fall out, Christmas trees don’t work well for me, and muffs are too dang hot in the summer. If I’m shooting, I use Howard Light muffs so I can hear range commands and carry out conversations off the line. Sawing and running other equipment I use Surefire EP3 Sonic defenders. I usually buy a couple pair at a time at my local gun shop and they last me all year if I don’t loose them, lol. If I want to listen to music while running equipment, the Isotunes pro works for short periods with the flange tips. For longer days, I just use my HL muffs with Bluetooth if on something loud like a mower or dozer all day.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are a couple of brands that are similar styles of foam noise suppressors that I've had good success with. Both will roll, insert (easily) and stay in as long as they HAVE NOT been run through the washer. I usually prefered uncorded, as they seem to stay in my ears better when wearing additional ear muffs or MC/snowmobile helmets.

I'm not endorsing either of these ebayers, just using their product pages as reference. I would do a search for the products and obtain from where you feel more inclined.

Preferred, with or without cord Howard Leight LL-1 Uncorded Laser lite,
or the Moldex 6604 Foam Spark Plugs NRR33 .

I've used both for what seems like more than 20 years.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a couple of brands that are similar styles of foam noise suppressors that I've had good success with. Both will roll, insert (easily) and stay in as long as they HAVE NOT been run through the washer. I usually prefered uncorded, as they seem to stay in my ears better when wearing additional ear muffs or MC/snowmobile helmets.

I'm not endorsing either of these ebayers, just using their product pages as reference. I would do a search for the products and obtain from where you feel more inclined.

Preferred, with or without cord Howard Leight LL-1 Uncorded Laser lite,
or the Moldex 6604 Foam Spark Plugs NRR33 .

I've used both for what seems like more than 20 years.
Thanks. I bought the HL corded yesterday on ebay
Also saw some generic orange plugs on my UHC OTC list so I added them to my order.