Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am pretty fixated with roller nose bars because they are demonstrably faster and I am totally ate up with the faster thing right now :)

So a few guys have asked different questions about them and I figured a few words and pics to help out the masses who may come across one in their travels (picking).

The bigger the better, any bar can be cut down but ya cant stretch them any .
The tail can be modified to fit the mount you need but the wider the tail then the more versatile your options.

When you upsize your sprocket you need to make sure the tail of the bar is large enough to provide a nice smooth transition from the bar to the sprocket or you will throw chains very easily, which really sucks if the chain is a hand filed masterpiece.

Before buying a used roller check the rails and the tip.

Rails like this mean the bar is junk unfortunately

IMG_4123.JPG

The tips on these have a non-replaceable flat bearing inside and it seems like the modern ones are inferior to a nice vintage tip.

The tip should spin freely without any grinding or scraping and the tip should be tight with less than this amount of jiggle
If it jiggles this much it can still be used with a generous helping of grease but it getting near the end of its life and will not be as fast as a smooth turning bearing.

If the tip is frozen or tight there are a few tricks that work well to free them.
Don't force the tip beyond bare hand pressure, once something breaks, the tip is trash.
Using regular PB Blaster or any penetrating oil is an option as well as letting a solidly stuck tip sit submerged in tranny fluid for a few weeks.

once it turns it is good to clean it out as best you can while keeping it lubed and then to get the final bit of smoothness I recommend soaking the tip in olive oil and turning it a few revolutions daily by hand until it is silky smooth again.

I have paid as much as $100.00 for a vintage roller nose that was in nice shape and would pay more if I found a really large fat belly example.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't believe in regrinding the rails Jeremy? Shop I used to work for had one of those machines, but I think the only two guys there that would actually rebuild a bar were myself and the shop foreman. I left and the foreman died about a year later, I doubt it has been used since.

Joe

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When one rail is too small you cant add material.
If yiu thin the second side the bar will likely get pinched and even a little pinch is a speed killer.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't believe in regrinding the rails Jeremy? Shop I used to work for had one of those machines, but I think the only two guys there that would actually rebuild a bar were myself and the shop foreman. I left and the foreman died about a year later, I doubt it has been used since.

Joe
I'm up for anything.
Just givin Dave a hard time ;)

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty dumb on bar reconditioning. Can you have a worn bar accurately regrooved larger? Like .050 to .063.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting that a few of the Chinese saws are sold with roller nose bars here in OZ. I like RN bars too & have a Cannon fatbelly 25" hot saw bar I bought from a member, it has the less desirable 4 rivet nose opposed to the apparently better 5 rivet Torrington RN. I showyas a pic..1468664693573.jpg