High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

HELP! What to do with mag rot in the crank case...

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky 390xp that was left out in the elements enough to get moisture into the crankcase
Once disassembled I found the rot as well as what seemed like carbon crystals...not good. The bearing actually weren't bad but will still be replaced. Initially I hit the areas with a fine Dremel wire wheel, cone type. This, to get the major crud and be able to better see what's there.
Today I carefully media blasted the rot areas, staying away from bearing and seal seats.
It seems to have cleaned up well.
So, leave it alone? Let the mix oil keep further corrosion away? Thoroughly clean with acetone and then JB-weld and sand it all smooth? Replace the case? The saw will get minimal use.
Bearing seats are good; seal seats will be ok but I'll definitely use some sealer.
1000005096.jpg1000005097.jpg

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that I'm the authority on Mg rehab & repair, but my feeling is I would just leave it now as-is and put the saw back together. I don't think I would be smearing JB into there at all....seems like that's a can-o-worms to me. Sucks that a fairly young case got weathered :(

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 266 I rebuilt a while back that had rot like that in. I cleaned it up with a wire brush and daubed a little rustoleum on it. It runs fine. very well, actually.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. That's what I figured. I have older cases a little worse :p

Avisagio

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a very light case of mag rot. I'd run it as is.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
blast and powder case half
Cant get all the rot out unless blast and repowder
Although I agree with all those that say leave it at it is and the fuel & oil mixture should be ok .. however I agree with Glock37 if you really want to stop it, then blast it and powder coat it

As with any rot in any metal,,, it becomes a site for any future atrachment (sacrificial place ) ..

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can blast it with glass balls, and then you can spray paint it with etch primer. That is cheaper, but power coat is the best. Especially if Glock37 do the coating, he do excellent work.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can blast it with glass balls, and then you can spray paint it with etch primer. That is cheaper, but power coat is the best. Especially if Glock37 do the coating, he do excellent work.
Already blasted it. I’ll just throw it all back together with new bearing/seals and a new top end.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as you got the loose material out it will be ok
Run a good mix 40- 32 to 1 oil will keep it from continue too rot