High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What kind of Firewood furnace do you have ?

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes there website is gone and there phone number has changed. They now sell a few different wood stove/ fireplace brands.
It's a shame if you ask me, the epa putting small town businesses of 30-40 years out of business!

That's a shame. What is their new number?

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hardy H2. Been heating our house and domestic hot water with it since 1998! We have a 2300 sq ft 2-story house. We burn an average of 20 ricks per year. Wood is cut to about 21 inches length. So that is about 8-9 cords per year. Sorry I don't have photos...may take some this evening. I have my furnace situated in front of a 10' wide x 16' long x 8' ceiling height woodshed that has an 8' wide x 16' long lean-to on the side. Entire building will hold 33 ricks of 21" firewood. My H2 faces the front of the shed and the shed has a porch roof that hangs just over the top of the stove opening. Makes filling it in the rain much easier and nicer. I cannot say enough about the reliability of this furnace. It has never leaked, still has its original set of bottom grates, and does not have one speck of rust anywhere. I have replaced the draft fan twice, the fill float once, the fan control relay once, the door gaskets once, and the T&P relief valve twice. Not bad for a nearly 20 year old heavily used furnace! Now that I think about it, we have burned nearly 1000 ricks of wood through this thing.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Harman SF 2500 (hot air blower) with residential hot water tank. You have to get used to transition of water temp change. Electric hot water 140 to furnace hot water as high as 200. You don't get a cold shower at my place in the winter.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm torn, when I build my shop between an OWB running radiant heat through a concrete pad (lots of heat loss), an OWB running a pair of forced air wall or ceiling mount coil heaters, or something like the Harman using duct-work for the air, while having the water add-on in order to have hot water in the Winter for washing hands, showers, etc...

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes and had the opportunity, I would run the heat through the concrete pad. I know a guy who did this on his shop. He absolutely loves it. Says the heat is really nice and if you get the floor wet like, say, when washing a car or machine, the floor dries completely in minutes. He put d0wn insulation before he routed his pipes and poured his concrete in order to keep the heat from going down into the ground.

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes there website is gone and there phone number has changed. They now sell a few different wood stove/ fireplace brands.
It's a shame if you ask me, the epa putting small town businesses of 30-40 years out of business!

The EPA didn't do it, their company did by failing to keep up with the times.

This small company in N MN was able to get 2020 certified. They too are a very small family run business of SIX EMPLOYEES of 30-40 years. They were able to not only meet EPA Phase 1, but also the very stringent EPA Phase 2 (by 2020).

http://www.timberjay.com/stories/poised-for-growth,13580

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not going to argue but completely agree to disagree! The epa has ruined many things and put many small business out of business who can't meet their regs or can't pay the fine like the big boys

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We bought a farm back in October and the house came with a Hardy H4. It seems to work just fine but it does go through a lot of wood. I don’t think it is very efficient for one of these but it works.

I am keeping track of wood usage for this winter to see what we will do in regards to keeping it or getting something more efficient. We are heating a 3100 sq foot house and full basement...

Attachments

• 4CE99DB9-C52B-41D0-82A6-837EA7290CFE.jpeg
    4CE99DB9-C52B-41D0-82A6-837EA7290CFE.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 28

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm torn, when I build my shop between an OWB running radiant heat through a concrete pad (lots of heat loss), an OWB running a pair of forced air wall or ceiling mount coil heaters, or something like the Harman using duct-work for the air, while having the water add-on in order to have hot water in the Winter for washing hands, showers, etc...

They make an insulation product designed to run PEX through and then pour on top of. I have a friend that had it done and another friend that does concrete work that does it. It would be best to have an installer do it since they use a continuous run of pex and it requires some specialized tools to install the clips.

On the other hand, we have a Fire Chief hot air furnace outside our shop. We installed this year and haven't had to run it a lot yet. We built a small room around it to protect it some more. It seems to be as good as our older add on style furnace/stove we were using.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Central Boiler 6048 about 11 years old. Does a great job of heating everything but jeez it sure has an appetite for wood!!!!

Redhorse

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Central Boiler 6048 about 11 years old. Does a great job of heating everything but jeez it sure has an appetite for wood!!!!

All the OWB have an appetite for wood.

My woodmaster 3300 eats wood. I am actually looking at making some major upgrades to insulation in my house to try and help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I installed a Froling indoor boiler last spring and have a 800 gal Solartechnics thermal storage tank. Love the efficiency and ease of use. Its connected to my baseboard heat and yo do batch burns to recharge the tank. The boile goes out between burn when demand is low and the tank buffers your loads. No choking the fire and idling the boiler in low demand. You load the boiler to recharge the tank and the boiler runs 100% heat output until the wood is gone. If you load too much fuel the boiler will go into slumber. Just like running a normal free standing stove or furnace, you load it for the expected demand. If a zone calls for heat during a fire the flow is directed to satisfy the load then goes back to reheating the tank.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow! :eek:

Looks like overkill to me.
But hey, everything is bigger in the US. :)

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tenor.gif

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not going to argue but completely agree to disagree! The epa has ruined many things and put many small business out of business who can't meet their regs or can't pay the fine like the big boys

Agree 100% the epa ruined a good thing for alot of good and hard working people.

I couldn't bring myself to buy a epa wood boiler, so I made my own. No cat no fancy gimmicks just simple. Fill it with wood and forget about it for 12hr and refill.

And thank you for the jred John. I was finally able to get it. The sub driver delivered it to my neighbor by mistake. It took me forever to get it from him, but I have the saw now and all is good.

Steven

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We bought a farm back in October and the house came with a Hardy H4. It seems to work just fine but it does go through a lot of wood. I don’t think it is very efficient for one of these but it works.

I am keeping track of wood usage for this winter to see what we will do in regards to keeping it or getting something more efficient. We are heating a 3100 sq foot house and full basement...

Guess I thought I would update this post. It used around 13-15 cords. This year we are just going to use the geothermal as our primary and see how that goes.