High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What is freeport?

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Gents, I've been looking everywhere for an answer, but have yet to find one.

I hear a ton of talk about freeport, but no explanation of what it actually is, only that too much can be bad, but none or some can be good, depending on numerous factors.

Would someone be kind enough to enlighten those of us who don't understand it?

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, Canadian Farm Boy. It's a lot simpler than I'd thought. More for me to chew on....

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the explanation, Canadian Farm Boy. It's a lot simpler than I'd thought. More for me to chew on....
It also applies to the sides of the piston skirt at the exhaust and intake ports. Those are much more of a problem in most cases than what bottom freeport seems to cause

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It also applies to the sides of the piston skirt at the exhaust and intake ports. Those are much more of a problem in most cases than what bottom freeport seems to cause

Is it because there is such a large area to deal with when both sides of the piston are considered? Also, the area on either side is essentially constant as the poison moves. In contrast the port at the bottom of the skirt is open briefly as the skirt clears the exhaust floor, then closes it on the way back down. Am I close, or barking up the wrong tree? I hope this makes sense.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it because there is such a large area to deal with when both sides of the piston are considered? Also, the area on either side is essentially constant as the poison moves. In contrast the port at the bottom of the skirt is open briefly as the skirt clears the exhaust floor, then closes it on the way back down. Am I close, or barking up the wrong tree? I hope this makes sense.
We usually try to avoid bottom freeport on the exhaust, but nobody can seem to think of a time when it made the saw run worse. Some say those were their better running ones.

If you freeport on the sides of the piston skirt at the exhaust or intake, it won’t run well at all because you’ll lose all of your primary case compression.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We usually try to avoid bottom freeport on the exhaust, but nobody can seem to think of a time when it made the saw run worse. Some say those were their better running ones.
I suppose muh Momma nicknamed me Some, but all this time I thought she was sayin "SON" ....... ?????

Count me in the lump of "some" that say "those were their better running ones" !!!!!

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose muh Momma nicknamed me Some, but all this time I thought she was sayin "SON" ....... ?????

Count me in the lump of "some" that say "those were their better running ones" !!!!!
lol

Dieselnut77

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

If you freeport on the sides of the piston skirt at the exhaust or intake, it won’t run well at all because you’ll lose all of your primary case compression.

Makes sense.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so if you have a saw where there is a small amount of freeport and it runs really good.....does that then mean that a little less case charge is better? i dont know if i asked that right.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so if you have a saw where there is a small amount of freeport and it runs really good.....does that then mean that a little less case charge is better? i dont know if i asked that right.
Depends where it’s free porting. If it’s on the sides of the intake or exhaust, you’re losing case vacuum and compression and not pumping as much charge up to the top

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
right and does that make them run better? i dont see how it would

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct. There’s no way that it runs better if you’re too close to free porting on the sides. Bottom of the exhaust is frowned upon, but doesn’t show poor running characteristics like on the side.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok i was making sure there wasnt something i was missing there

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The theory for under the skirt freeporting helping is that at the end of exhaust flow there is inertia of exhaust flow and possibly some negative pressure there. The minimal opening may help pull charge into the case.

IMHO, the saws that freeport run better because their geometry is better and the builder has no choice than to drop that jug beyond the piston skirt.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its too bad that we couldnt see inside a good running engine in super slow motion to see the changes

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i like to free port under my wifes skirt...said in a forest gump voice.... lol

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just finished porting a 44.7mm cylinder for an 024 AVS. When viewed from the intake port, a tiny amount of light is visible at the exhaust port when at TDC . Numbers are 96/120/78. I did not notice this before dropping the intake timing to 78.

Saw runs great with good power in the cut.

Last edited: