What gives?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I usually don’t use stihl oil cause I hate the way it smells and it burns my eyes lol. But they were out of the oil we usually buy at the time. But that’s not the point of this thread, not looking to talk about the oil itself. (Hell no not another oil thread please lol). What the problem was, that I discovered that surprised me... was when I went to measure it out in the ratio right cup for 4 gallon mix for our gas can. 2.5 gallons of stihl oil really got a slightly different mix ratio than on the ratio right.... I was like huh? Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing lol. I understand there might be some residual oil left in the oil jug. That may affect the reading. My question is that are the ratio right cups accurate or is the oil jug accurate? I usually mix at 40:1... to give some fudge room if the jug or ratio right is off... and I listen to my saws to make sure they are running right.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see now why guys that you know who are capable of mixing 2 stroke gas have an unexplained lean score. If your using that misleading, actually 60:1 mix on a hot day, really working that saw and add in the fact that she might be tuned a hair lean....

And a dull chain..clogged air filter...kaboom.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see now why guys that you know who are capable of mixing 2 stroke gas have an unexplained lean score. If your using that misleading, actually 60:1 mix on a hot day, really working that saw and add in the fact that she might be tuned a hair lean....
Less oil runs richer, so some people could be cooking their saws by using more oil for safe measure, but, I agree that these commonly underfilled oil bottles contribute to quick engine failure.

Sprinter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I use a supposed 1/4 cup measure rescued from the kitchen. It is marked 1/4 cup/50 ml.
Anyway, I grabbed my vernier and measured then to the calculator. Turns it is 59* ml.
Next, I marked the measure with a sharpie to show how much gas to use per measure.
I'm in Canada so, put the oil in first and them pump the appropriate liters for 40/1.
Question everything!

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d trust the ratio rite way before I’d trust what’s in the bottle/jug. Either way you lean in the discussion, the ratio rite is easier to check for accuracy
Ive had the same ratio right for ten years now.

i usually only mix 1 gallon at a time, i pour in the oil for 40:1 at 1gal and pour gas in near the top and pour into gerry. I keep pouring fresh gas into the ratio right until the oil residue is gone then continue pouring fresh gas to the 1gal mark on the gerry.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Way back when in the olden days us Mx racers referred to them as ratio wrongs. We were being kinda tongue in check though. We generally mixed larger amounts 5 gallons at a time and as I recall it was 1 bottle of MC1 per 5 gallons so we didn’t usually use rr’s. For fork and shock oil we used graduated cylinders.

Louie B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run just under 43 to 1:
3 oz oil with a gallon of gas
6 oz oil with 2 gallons of gas
12 oz oil with 4 gallons of gas.
That works for me and has for the past 20 years.

16 oz oil with 5 gallons
Buy my oil in quarts so that mix makes sense to me.
Stilh weedeater/pole saw hates it and slobbers but who cares.
Try to never use it:D

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long story but 5qt fuel to 4oz oil is how mine gets mixed. Marked a oil bottle at a confirmed 4oz and again at 8oz. And my gas jug holds 5qt 4oz exactly. So it's usually spot on to fill two saws and then refill 4 true fuel cans.

Interesting find. The non vented steel cans from vp and true fuel. They keep fuel fresh for much longer than my plastic mix jug. Had a can that got lost in the woods. Found it almost a year later. Sniffed it smelled fresh so ran it through and went without issue. The plastic jug the fuel changes smell after 2mo if not sooner.

Steven

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Burt Gummer:
"Plastic is not an oxygen barrier"

1597306776323-54451787.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got 32:1, it’s so simple to remember 1 oz of oil per quart.

Rarely had a problem with that ratio, except on a few MT saws on hot days with Motul800 which is viscous as hell. On that day, it was very hot after a cold night, so the fuel was ice cold, which contributed to more viscosity and less flow.

I’ll take more protection over more power anyday.

I use a urine sample cup. Has a measuring line in it for ounces. I have the luxury of getting them for nothing and in large quantities.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Rarely had a problem with that ratio, except on a few MT saws on hot days with Motul800 which is viscous as hell. On that day, it was very hot after a cold night, so the fuel was ice cold, which contributed to more viscosity and less flow.

I use a urine sample cup. Has a measuring line in it for ounces. I have the luxury of getting them for nothing and in large quantities.
do you recommend a new or slightly used sample cup for accurate measurement :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Still filled with yellow fluid? o_O

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Less oil runs richer, so some people could be cooking their saws by using more oil for safe measure, but, I agree that these commonly underfilled oil bottles contribute to quick engine failure.

Not trying to derail this thread but I use a ratio rite and stihl oil as well mixed to 32:1. If I read this right, by using more oil I could be causing damage?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not trying to derail this thread but I use a ratio rite and stihl oil as well mixed to 32:1. If I read this right, by using more oil I could be causing damage?

Stihl oil would probably be the last oil I burned at 32:1.