What Caused It?

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic a customer sent us. Said he bought our 066 cylinder kit, ran one tank of gas and this happened.

Of course he blames the parts and wants his money back.

What are your thoughts? We never get complaints like this from the experienced guys.
Stihl Cylinder and piston seizure.jpg

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had that happen on one of my alky saws this year....scoring all the way around...cyl was unscathed...nearest I could tell was that I goofed on my oil ratio when I mixed the fuel

d.l.d

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like straight gassed. From what I've seen when people have brought me a saw and told me they straight gassed it. I'd agree with Onan18 on the fact that he never fixed the original problem but in my opinion it would have had to be a massive air leak for one tank to do that and the saw would have raced bad enough that it would have taken a dumba** not to shut it down and fix the problem especially after spending money on a new top end. Ive fixed saws that have had several tanks ran through them with an air leak and not looked close to that bad. Some not even scored at all just ran like crap. Also the exhaust port has to much carbon on it to have had only one tank ran through it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
9:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
pull the jug and check to see if there is 4 corner scoring going on.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did they find the problem that broke the first top end before they put a new one on ?
Of course not. Just throw another kit on. They never believe that it could be an air leak.

My first question is always "Did you do a pressure test the crankcase?" The typical answer is "No, it had plenty of compression".

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with all of the above. Ask the customer if they did a leak down test. The answer will probably be "HUH?"

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry Gentleman didn't see your post. Basically the same thing .

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing about that looks like defective parts. Ask the guy if the slug and jug he took off looks just like that one.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Top end kits should come with some clear cut instructions all over the box so there's no way they can be missed.... Or something.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course not. Just throw another kit on. They never believe that it could be an air leak.

My first question is always "Did you do a pressure test the crankcase?" The typical answer is "No, it had plenty of compression".
When you sell the quantity that you do your bound to run into this sooner or later. Most likely often too