Welding 101

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used a standard sized non darkening glass number 11 .Worked fine until I was about 65 years old then with industrial grind bifocals ,bottom / top it became a problem .Damned arc was always right between the lines .So self darkening large size set on about 11 .To do a good job you have to be able to see .---and yes I was a pro at one time in my life .Once you learn you never forget .

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just received my eyesight improvers this morning. I tried on the cheater safety glasses and all I can say is wow! I should have bought these years ago lol. I haven't installed the cheater lens in my helmet yet but I hope it has the same effect as the safety glasses do. I am going to fashion a hood for the back of my helmet this weekend too. Lots of good tips in this thread - thanks guys.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over 50 years ago after I graduated from HS I worked as a welder at Baldwin-Lima- Hamilton ,one time builder of steam locomotives .At that time made giant "Lima " cranes .One department ,heavy welding I worked in had over 80 welders .Just the reflection from other welders through the back of a hood would burn your eyes over time .It's a wonder I can still see at all.To combat that not only did I use a number 12 lens but also number 2.5 flash glasses under that .You have to keep in mind that was burning 7/32" iron powder rods and low hy rods at over 300 amps .I also had two stingers because they would get so hot they'd burn your hands ,50 pounds of rod per day .BTW I got out of that department as soon as I could .

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got out of high school 43 years ago. I started at a company called Stephens-Adamson as an apprentice draftsman. After completing my apprenticeship I went out the machine shop as an expediter - the absolute best job I have ever had. Sadly, like all heavy industry up here, they closed up shop in the late 80s and I was out of a good job.

Stephens Adamson here in Belleville had over 700 employees. They made heavy ship unloading equipment, huge strip mining reclaimers, conveyor systems and crushing equipment. The machine shop that I worked in had 38 machinists. The welding shop had a similar number of welders/fitters. It was a huge operation all under one roof, except for the foundry - it was just down the street and employed over 200 people. I am nostalgic about working there. Men were men and we made huge earth changing equipment. The work was hot, dirty and noisy but it paid well and you could look at the huge assemblies being loaded on the rail cars and say 'I helped build that'. That and the more relaxed and fun culture of the time made it the best years of my life. Some of the after work parties in the parking lot on a Friday night were epic lol. Good times :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I've got three sets of torchs and three welders I use these days .At the house I have the mid sized bottles and my dads old 200 amp Marquette buzz box that came over on the Mayflower .My shop which is 22 miles away has a 400 amp DC rectifier I rewired for single phase ,a Lincoln 250 movable core 250 amp buzz box,circa 1940 and two gasoline powered welders,a Lincoln SA 200 and a Hobart 250 amp main line special . No TIG,no MIG .
It's not often I get into heavy jobs these day but I do have a bandsaw mill that's a work in progress I can't find time to finish .Then again I'm 75 years old and retired with no time schedule .I do what I want when I want :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might mention the old BLH works ,it folded in the late 80's .Had the largest machinery I ever saw except the ship yards in NewPort News Va .there's nothing left even the concrete. 65 acres sitting idle .By then I was long gone working as a union electrcian which I did for nearly 50 years retiring at 70.5 years old .

Reactions: Lnk