CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned a MIG welder for many years and there is one issue that I have never been able to completely deal with: Vision

There are many times where I simply cannot see my welding path. If my helmet is set dark enough so I can watch the puddle comfortably, then everything around the puddle is black. If I set the helmet to a brighter setting, then I can somewhat see the area next to the puddle, but when I stop welding my vision needs time to readjust to normal ambient light. This problem is worst if I have to do a quick weld on something. If I am doing a larger project, my eyes will adjust and my vision will become adjusted to watching the weld and I can see fine. One thing I do to remedy my vision problem is I try to set up a very bright light to illuminate whatever I am welding, and this helps immensely, but I am wondering what you guys who are much more experienced than me do to allow you to see your welding path without seeing blue dots when you are finished?

Chris

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned a MIG welder for many years and there is one issue that I have never been able to completely deal with: Vision

There are many times where I simply cannot see my welding path. If my helmet is set dark enough so I can watch the puddle comfortably, then everything around the puddle is black. If I set the helmet to a brighter setting, then I can somewhat see the area next to the puddle, but when I stop welding my vision needs time to readjust to normal ambient light. This problem is worst if I have to do a quick weld on something. If I am doing a larger project, my eyes will adjust and my vision will become adjusted to watching the weld and I can see fine. One thing I do to remedy my vision problem is I try to set up a very bright light to illuminate whatever I am welding, and this helps immensely, but I am wondering what you guys who are much more experienced than me do to allow you to see your welding path without seeing blue dots when you are finished?

Chris
Good lighting is the only thing i can suggest, also, don't look at the arc, look at the puddle. Not a professional weldor, just what works for me.

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do you push or pull weld.

new clean lenses make huge difference too

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll second the clean lenses. Also what helmet are you running? Some cheaper antidarkening helmets are not fast enough to respond so you get a tiny bit of flash every time you start an arc.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do you push or pull weld.

new clean lenses make huge difference too
I usually pull weld, but it depends on the job. I do my best to keep the lens clean.
I'll second the clean lenses. Also what helmet are you running? Some cheaper antidarkening helmets are not fast enough to respond so you get a tiny bit of flash every time you start an arc.
I use a Lincoln Viking 1840 helmet. I always store it in the bag so it stays pretty clean.

Reactions: Lnk

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a pretty decent helmet. Maybe some low magnification cheaters would help you see your direction a little better.
Well there is an idea. I do admit that my eyesight is not what it used to be. I guess I should get a cheap pair and see how that goes.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try and use an old school helmet with glass, I use a shade 10. I also weld I a dark shop, no light behind the shield.

I can't speak of an auto adjust one. Never owned one cause I don't trust them.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered a 1.5X cheater lens, and a pair of 2X cheater safety glasses from Canadian Welding Supply. Should be here in a couple days.

"no light behind the shield." That's a good tip that I learned a long time ago but had somehow forgotten.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When MIG welding with gas, aren't you supposed to "push" to keep the puddle protected? Drag the slag, and all that...

Reactions: Lnk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try and use an old school helmet with glass, I use a shade 10. I also weld I a dark shop, no light behind the shield.

I can't speak of an auto adjust one. Never owned one cause I don't trust them.

Yup. I had forgot about competing light reflecting off the inside of your shade.

I made a fabric hood over the back of my helmet to keep light from coming in from behind me. It helps out quite a lot in seeing the puddle.

Also if you’re really having troubles upgrading to a true color blink can make a bit of difference. It helped me a lot in seeing the puddle on cast aluminum.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing that helps with seeing what you're doing when Mig welding is to use a smaller tapered gas nozzle and if need be a tapered cantact tip. As far the seeing things, I never had such problems, then again I always used a regular glass lens. There used to be some gold colored lenses and everything looked red through them, some said they could see easier but I couldn't and stayed with the old fashioned green. So in other words, keep trying things until you find what works for you.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have glasses that change to dark when exposed to light, wear regular lenses. That helped with my welding. bright light helps, especially "day light" in the 5000+ range. Obviously, do not wear contact lenses.

I am using this helmet:

Lincoln Electric Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet with Grind Mode — Glossy Black, Model# K3419-1

It has been a huge improvement over the Irontron and HF stuff auto darken helmets. Most importantly, it works well with my plasma cutter and I can see the kerf while cutting.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have glasses that change to dark when exposed to light, wear regular lenses. That helped with my welding. bright light helps, especially "day light" in the 5000+ range. Obviously, do not wear contact lenses.

I am using this helmet:

Lincoln Electric Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet with Grind Mode — Glossy Black, Model# K3419-1

It has been a huge improvement over the Irontron and HF stuff auto darken helmets. Most importantly, it works well with my plasma cutter and I can see the kerf while cutting.
I have this same helmet, along with a couple of others (fixed Lincoln and a fixed Jackson). Albeit I don't weld everyday by any means, it is a good helmet for the money. Right now it's $96 on Amazon.

Last edited:

Bobby Sixguns

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When MIG welding with gas, aren't you supposed to "push" to keep the puddle protected? Drag the slag, and all that...
Mig welding with shielding gas you can push or pull as long as you pay attention to your mig torch angle. If you hold your mig torch 90 degrees to your weld joint then stay 10 degrees either side of 90 (push or pull) you'll be fine. You just don't want any severe torch angle, try to hold as close to 90 as you can. **Warning this is a huge internet debate, beware of the rabbit hole**

Back to the original question,
I would replace your cover lense if you have never done that and install the cheater lense. If you compare your cover lense to the clarity of a new one, you may be suprised.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Right now it's $96 on Amazon.

That is one item I would NOT buy on Amazon for fear of getting an inferior Chinese clone. As an example, I wanted a CASIO G-Force watch and after reading the reviews it became obvious that the "CASIO" store on E-Bay is selling poorly made clones. With a total fail on the solar versions. So, I ordered directly from CASIO.com and received it yesterday.
z-casio_01.jpg

The OEM comes in full retail packaging including a "hexagon" metal box. Not a loose watch thrown into a plain cardboard box. Plus, the strap is the correct length and it does not phone home to China to set the time.

I would not buy welding helmets, oil filters for automotive engines, or CASIO watches on Amazon, E-Bay, or anything lof that ilk, because the chance of you getting a inferior counterfeit are high and the fall out from the damages it could cause are not worth it. $0.02